Author Topic: Got a good deal on an Epson 4800...now what?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Got a good deal on an Epson 4800...now what?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
get use out of all of your cartriages by running black in all of them, your rip can print from any cart and they all get equally used.  You decide which cart each week or day or month.  Document it and rotate.  If you run black in only one cart, what happens if that cart has a problem?  Run black in all cartridges and never worry about that.  Thats what was recommended to us by the cartriage company.  Thats what we do.

Of course your ink company recommends you run all black ink carts even though you are only printing through one of them, they sellin' you ink fool. 

If the cart has problem?  Replace the cart.  Heads + dampers are more likely to be a problem here the carts and supply lines are fairly simple and unlikely to fail.  Dampers are specific to the head yes but the head assembly is one deal. (I think)

The point of our setup is that every time the printer runs one of epson's cleaning routines (which it does automatically on this model to prevent clogs) and just dumps ml of ink into the waste tank, it's mostly dumping cleaning solution.

Not a fool.  I know whats up, the bulk ink black is 85 bucks for a liter, way cheaper than buying carts!  You avoid a single head problem if you are able to use all of them.  This process is $1000 cheaper than replacing carts.  I am sure running clear works great aswell, but to my knowledge its not available for my 4900.  I will save my $1000 every time.

I pay less for both cartridges and bulk ink, $30 a pint, and 2 pints is a liter, and like $65 for a set of six carts for the 1400. I am starting to look around for a 4800 though.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't