Author Topic: CCI discharge white---where to buy?  (Read 7903 times)

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
Re: CCI discharge white---where to buy?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »
Peter, whats the status on the Magna Pigments? I gave up on Wilflex right before they ditched the program as I had a super hard time getting product.

Tony:  The MagnaColours  Pigment Concentrates are in stock and ready for immediate shipment from a number of Nazdar SourceOne locations.  Additionally we have developed a trial kit of the twelve PC’s that are used with the Magna Mix color formulation software that is offered along with five kilograms (about 1. Gallons) of the customer’s choice of a select MagnaPrint discharge or regular print base. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 11:25:21 PM »
[

No offense Peter, I was just offering Brad what he was looking for.
[/quote]

Jason: I wasn't taking any offense at all. 
I applaud your commitment to give something back to the industry. 
I look forward to meeting up with you at the Las Vega SGIA next month.
[/quote]

Can't wait.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:15 AM »
You can order direct from CCI, Ryonet sells it as a private label (not sure why they would do this) and GSG has it as well.

Question 1:  I'd be happy to try out some of this ZFS or ULF Magnaprint as well.  Does Nazdar offer samples for testing?

Question 2:  Peter, does the Magna ULF have a softer hand to the finished print than the ZFS?  

My understanding was that, if properly cured with airflow, ZFS discharge prints do not contain significant formaldehyde but rather a sulfurous substance left in the print.  The "wash before wearing" was simply to soften that print and prevent the odd occurrence of someone being sensitive to that sulfurous by product.

We have had zero sensitivity issues from customers (we do not run discharge for children's wear unless we post launder ourselves) but now are faced with post-laundering many of our retail ready products which is a pain of course.

Answer 1:  In the past Nazdar SourceOne used to provide a lot more free samples of inks and chemicals.  Over time we found out that many of our customers placed a value of $0.00 on a free sample, and quite often the product was never tested.  Because of this we have largely migrated to a  policy of offering a money back product performance guarantee.  Either the product performs as promised or you get your money back. 

Answer 2:  Good question about the difference in “hand” between the ULF and ZFS discharge systems, unfortunately I don’t know the answer.  I’ll ask one of our technical people to respond with a qualified answer.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
You can order direct from CCI, Ryonet sells it as a private label (not sure why they would do this) and GSG has it as well.

Question 1:  I'd be happy to try out some of this ZFS or ULF Magnaprint as well.  Does Nazdar offer samples for testing?

Question 2:  Peter, does the Magna ULF have a softer hand to the finished print than the ZFS?  

My understanding was that, if properly cured with airflow, ZFS discharge prints do not contain significant formaldehyde but rather a sulfurous substance left in the print.  The "wash before wearing" was simply to soften that print and prevent the odd occurrence of someone being sensitive to that sulfurous by product.

We have had zero sensitivity issues from customers (we do not run discharge for children's wear unless we post launder ourselves) but now are faced with post-laundering many of our retail ready products which is a pain of course.

Answer 1:  In the past Nazdar SourceOne used to provide a lot more free samples of inks and chemicals.  Over time we found out that many of our customers placed a value of $0.00 on a free sample, and quite often the product was never tested.  Because of this we have largely migrated to a  policy of offering a money back product performance guarantee.  Either the product performs as promised or you get your money back. 

Answer 2:  Good question about the difference in “hand” between the ULF and ZFS discharge systems, unfortunately I don’t know the answer.  I’ll ask one of our technical people to respond with a qualified answer.

The samples John from Nazdar brought to our shop were softer then ZFS prints. This in part might have to do with the material they were printed on, but they were very soft from what I can remember.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 12:06:14 PM »
Will the Magna pigments be offered in dispensible containers like the squeeze bottles from CCI and Rutland? Many do not know how big an issue this is.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
You can order direct from CCI, Ryonet sells it as a private label (not sure why they would do this)

Ryonet is not as dumb as many think.

I beg to differ.  Their product sku for this is CCIDISWHITE.  Apparently they think everyone else is just as dumb as everyone else thinks Ryonet is. 

That is funny. what morons. I was trying to give Ryonet a complement. I guess I was just giving them alot more credit then they deserve. I guess I have to go back to thinking they are as dumb as many think. That didn't take long.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
Well, I freely complement Ryonet on their aspirations, I thought they were just a hobby supply for many years, only knowing about them b/c I used them to order very small quantities of supplies for a community art center.  They need to get on the horse though and be a straight up industry supplier if that's their aim.  If I get uneasy buying ink and supplies from them you bet I ain't considering purchasing major equipment through them. 

Peter, I understand that some "sample requests" are more like "free product requests" but I would rethink that outlook.  I tried to sample some product from another company with identical policy and it was such a major pain in my arse that I won't buy anything from them again, not worth the hassle.  Just food for thought.  I'd be happy to purchase a small qty (you do have sample sizes for purchase right?) of some of the Non-ZFS to trial. 

On another note, Peter, thank you for the generous discount code for this month, I'm hoping to purchase as much as I can from SourceOne.  I often don't use the site do to the clunkiness mentioned in another thread and, yes, you guys need to stock WFX PCs in quarts, gal is too much of most PCs for all but the highest volume shops or those preparing for screen printing after the apocalypse. 

Pierre, if it's like you said we may be very interested in this Magna product.  My only caveat here is Colin telling me that the QCM chemists found the ZFS alternatives to me more dangerous than the ZFS but I know too little about this to comment further or elaborate.  Colin you around?  Would love to hear a better explanation of that. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
I believe the ZFS replacements are capable of spontaneously combusting, and
as such must be shipped Hazmat, etc.

The chance is likely extremely remote, but apparently possible enough to warrant
the warning.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
I believe the ZFS replacements are capable of spontaneously combusting, and
as such must be shipped Hazmat, etc.

The chance is likely extremely remote, but apparently possible enough to warrant
the warning.

I thought Colin said the non-ZFS was akin to the stuff that they use to give people highlights at the salon, could be wrong about that.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
If it's the same stuff as the formaldehyde free plasticharge (thiourea dioxide?) it's a hazmat
ship.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
If it's the same stuff as the formaldehyde free plasticharge (thiourea dioxide?) it's a hazmat
ship.

One of the reasons why I like this website / forum so much is the level of knowledge of the members.  You guys are 100% correct that the non-formaldehyde activator used in the MagnaColours ULF Discharge ink system is a hazardous shipping item. 

This is one of the reasons why we also offer the regular ZFS discharge systems.  I still can't quite get over the fact that the non-formaldehyde activator is considered safer to use and less harmful after printing, but it’s a bear to ship it in its raw (unmixed) state.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »
Peter I'll ask again......how will the magna pigments be packaged. The Wilflex vs was terrible.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:53 AM »
Peter I'll ask again......how will the magna pigments be packaged. The Wilflex vs was terrible.

Tony:  Sorry about the delayed response.  In answer to your question the Magna pigment concentrates are currently packaged in standard pails.  I hear where you’re coming from regards the alternative packaging options.  I’ll will take up the issue with our Rob Coleman Nazdar SourceOne Product Manager and with the manufacturer. 

More updates to follow.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 08:29:21 AM »
Thanks Peter. As you may know the lift off tops or screw tops are problematic for two reasons. One is that certain pigments such as black are prone to flaking when exposed to air and in some instances can effectively "glue" the lid on making it difficult to re-open. If the flakes make their way into the printing ink all hell will break loose. They will clog the image endlessly. This is why some printers have mentioned that they have to strain the ink prior to production.
Second is again with certain pigments there are settling issues. Once a container is open you don't want to shake it. Spills here are as costly as they are expensive.
This is why CCI and Rutland, among others use the squeeze bottles per my suggestion. In the past we would by bulk pigments from Vivitone and transfer them into squeeze bottles from the Dollar Store.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
The flip top shampoo style caps that Rutland went with are terrible. Worse than just a plain bucket.
Deli style deli style deli style.