Author Topic: Help with supplies  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Help with supplies
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
As I mentioned in my PM... Greenline or whatever it is called that US cutters has is pretty decent stuff as well.

I personally use it as my throw away vinyl for masking but I'd put out cheap stickers with it as well.  Anything LONG term and I'd go Oracal.

It is Greenstar......And as far as it being "pretty decent stuff", not in my mind......I have some decals on my truck cut from Greenstar (as a test) and they really shrunk and you can see the adhesive peeking out the edges all the way around.....The adhesive collects dirt and it looks ugly......I mostly use Oracal 751 which is about 60 cents a square foot.....If you need to go cheaper, Oracal 651 is about 30 cents a square foot.....

Thanks for clarifying.

Like I said, I personally use it as throw away vinyl.  That stuff only stays on for a couple of days at most and that is only if the wife is working SLOW... she likes to apply it, sand blast and pull it ASAP as it's much easier than if it has time to set in.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
Gilly, are you sandblasting or something? We used to etch beer glasses and things with an etching paste. Hot water makes the vinyl literally fall right off the glass, no peeling required. Has to be hot though.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
Avery is crap too. Oracal is great stuff, we use it on everything from wraps to signs.

Been using Avery almost exclusively for several years now without a single issue, what problems did you find with it? and which line?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 02:13:24 PM »
Gilly, are you sandblasting or something? We used to etch beer glasses and things with an etching paste. Hot water makes the vinyl literally fall right off the glass, no peeling required. Has to be hot though.

... she likes to apply it, sand blast and pull it ASAP as it's much easier than if it has time to set in.

tada! ;)

We do LOTS of these at a time and hot water is just slower if we work fast and the glue doesn't really set in.  We've tried all sorts of things.  Laid hot wet paper towels (and real towels) over them, let them float in water... tons of things.  Best thing we have found is peel them ASAP and then some denatured alcohol to get any residue off.

We have quite a process in assembling this product as we make the best in the world (seriously), and we can still knock out over 500 pcs in a week.  Cutting, weeding (sometimes intricate designs), applying, blasting, cleaning up... prepping other parts, assembling them and packaging them all up.  The wife always impresses me in how fast she can get those orders done.  I just deposit the checks. :)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
A few years back they had MASSIVE issues with their vinyl releasing and they refused to admit it was their fault. They screwed over a ton of shops. So many people lost customers and the replacement costs. They have some decent wrap vinyl now but it comes down to the principle, they won't stand behind their product.

On the same note, 3M can go fk themselves. If you want to know about those issues, PM me. I'll send you the link. It's interesting. I always thought 3M was top notch, man was I wrong. Royster knows what I'm talking about.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
What's with the xM companies? ;)

For what we do, we just wanted the CHEAPEST white (easier to see when blasting) vinyl that cut well.  Since it all goes in the garbage.  If anyone has a better suggestion I'm down.

Till then I'll just keep greenstart for trash and get some 651 or something for the real decals.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
I think that I will go with Oracal and Siser.
Seem to be the most popular choice