Author Topic: squeegie brands  (Read 3528 times)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: squeegie brands
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
I'd love to see an edge cleaned up on one of those short-cuts with their (non-stock) 320 grit wheel--seems like everyone runs them with the 120 which leaves a good printing edge, but as tony mentioned, much more surface area, and much more susceptible to solvent attack.

I started cleaning up my manual blades with just a sanding block and 320 grit wet dry sandpaper with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it--works wonders for an aging blade, especially if you just wipe them down right away and don't have to use press wash on them.  Although I'm still curious as to whether or not those fancy diamond hand polishers are worth the three hundred bucks or so they go for... anyone tried one?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: squeegie brands
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:38:23 PM »
The tech data for the manny and smilin' jack blades recommend this.  Different duro, 75 for the manny, but can't be too crazy different from any other extruded blade right? There is ample mention in instructions of cleaning the blades and resting them away from ink or solvents nightly.

NO GRINDING/SLICING REQUIRED

Periodic Maintenance
1) Wet an emery cloth with WD-40 (or equivalent lubricant)
a. Emery cloth to be 600-1200 grit
b. Emery cloth grit to be selected/adjusted based on printing conditions
and indication of wear patterns over time
2) “Wet-sand” Manny with the wet cloth

I wouldn't mind just having two of those right angle hand polishing setups on a bench with high and the other with really high grit wet sand paper and some wd, seems pretty straight ahead and a nice, contemplative way to end the day- carefully honing your blades for tomorrow's battles...