Author Topic: Time to upgrade  (Read 7438 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Time to upgrade
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »
that isn't a bad idea, but what happens if you forget one month or at the very end of the month your building is struck by lightning or thieves steal or destroy everything?  I would rather have an automatic offsite backup to prevent any lost files.  It should be seamless.

Worst case id loose a month, sucks, but I can swallow that over loosing it all of course. 

Automatic offsite backup would be great, however the amount of data we create per day here would take longer than a  night to back up over the internet.  Here in east TN we have horrible internet speeds still, well without paying out the nose for T lines.  Less than 1mb (.896) upload speed here.  We create multiple gigs per day both me and Erik.  Shelly creates a good bit as well.  So unfortunately realistically this isn't an option for us at this time. 

Recently cable internet has become available in the industrial park which would be a good bit faster on speed than our DSL, but so far I haven't had time to switch. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
we moved from a t1 to cable here and it's sweet.  We are over 19mbps for download and almost 15 up.  you should make the switch, it's cheaper for us than dsl.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
we moved from a t1 to cable here and it's sweet.  We are over 19mbps for download and almost 15 up.  you should make the switch, it's cheaper for us than dsl.

I feel you, when in PA I was on Comcast in a market with FIOS so they were competing big time.  We had 70mb down, 30ish up.  Was SOOOO Spoiled by that.

Came here and we are 10 down, less than 1 up.  Even cable here is like 20 down I think, and like 5 up  (up to of course).  Not exactly earth shattering, but better.   Even at that speed I doubt I would try to offsite back up over the web.   The crappy part is we have 2 cable companies in town, Charter and Comcast.  The left side of my street is Comcast, rock solid service.  My side is Charter.  Which here in this area is spotty, my parents have it, and my employee has it as well.  Both have issues with net and TV.  Of course that is on residential side but I suspect not much better on business side.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
comcast so far has been a ton better on the business side.  my house has fairly spotty service(they just upgraded the lines) and i've had issue after issue.  At the office I had 1 day of internet downtime that went until 10am, the phones didn't go down.

I bought the mid-grade package.  I didn't go high end, I might once backup is up and running.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
comcast so far has been a ton better on the business side.  my house has fairly spotty service(they just upgraded the lines) and i've had issue after issue.  At the office I had 1 day of internet downtime that went until 10am, the phones didn't go down.

I bought the mid-grade package.  I didn't go high end, I might once backup is up and running.

The only reason I really want to switch is the cable side is about 50-60 a month cheaper.  So I am considering it pretty hard.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
I am talking NAS with my it guy right now.  His take is this:

Go with a netgear like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122062

Stay away from Maxtor or Seagate drives...they have a high failure rate.  Go Western Digital Black, not green or blue...those are slower.
--------

Back to my take.  I have heard they are easier to VPN than a standard drive, a lot of them have the software built in.  I will be setting up the exact same drive at the house in case of a major catastrophe.  This way I will have everything...including the video from my fancy new camera system.

What I build in a linux box is essentially a NAS for most clients... but one that runs RAID1 usually (for me RAID 5), it also has LOTS of abilities for scripting and other various tasks.  You can make it do just about anything but isn't just plug and play by any means.

As far as hard drive brands... meh, there are two major players Seagate and Western Digital (Maxtor is owned by Seagate).... also there is Samsung and Hitatchi but they are more dominate in the Laptop market (and the DeskStar has been dubbed the DeathStar as it is junk).  Being that... I really doubt Seagate has a higher failure rate than WD.  Sure in some people's experience that is likely true, but in some people's experience the other is likely true.  I personally liked Seagate better due to the fact that they had a 5 year warranty vs 3 year warranty.  But I don't like their warranty policy.  If you want advance replacement (they mail you out a drive and you have 25 days to send in your old one... sometimes a drive isn't really dead but failing or you just want that replacement ASAP for a RAID) they charge you $10 bucks, non-refundable.  WD doesn't do that.  I've also heard, but not verified, that Seagate dropped their warranty to 3 years as well.

I buy between Seagate and WD mostly on price.  If there is enough money to be saved that it out weighs the warranty BS risks, then I'll buy a Seagate without any hesitation and I'm pretty sure I'm in the top 5 on this site in how many hard drives we've bought/maintained over the course of our careers. :)

The old Seagate VS WD debate goes on in nerd circles all the time and I find it funny that neither side can see that the other side MUST have a valid point or they wouldn't be arguing it so fervently.  It's not like a Apple vs PC debate where there are many variables to the argument, it's always cut and dry (X brand works and Y brand doesn't and vice versa).  Obviously both sides work enough to create fan boys on both sides.  My brother is one of those guys... he HATES Seagates... but I've bet he has had more WD's die on him in the last 10 years than Seagates... basically because he NEVER buys Seagates, so how does he really know they suck? ;)

Now on to Green vs Blue vs Black.  No doubt about it, the black drives are definitely better drives.  But one does have to look at where the bottle neck will occur.  If you are building a NAS then is your network really faster than your Green drive?  If not then save the money and get the green drives... that's what I did for my 4 TB server at home (which btw, all the drives checked out ok with diagnostics, so maybe Pierre is right and the raid is the culprit).  I know that my drives won't be the slow point of my server... the software raid or the network will be my bottle neck.

VPN wise... it's not magic... it basically connects you like a network through the internet.  So if you have a 20mb file that you need to open it will take the time that it will take to transfer that file across the internet from one location to the other to get that file open.  My wife uses a remote desktop program to do most of her work from home.  She might would work on smaller items at home directly if we had the VPN (it's in the plans ;) ). But for the larger items I'm not sure there is savings to be done, plus her machine here at work is a beast so when it has to do any thinking it's faster for her to remote in and let it do the thinking vs her laptop at home which is VERY underpowered in comparison.

One thing you might look at is something like Drop Box.  This keeps EVERYTHING all synced up.  This gives you some redundancy/backup (I wouldn't depend on it as my only backup) and it lets you open the files natively at home and then once you save them it shoves it back across the network(s) to update everyone.  You can run many clients on it and they can all have mirrors of everything.  My buddy does this locally at his shop because of the mac/pc issues.  Instead of fighting network shares he just works "locally" on every computer and it pushes out to everyone else when it's done.  Still only as fast to update as your network connection from point A to point B but if you don't NEED the update to happy ASAP it's not an issue, it will be there before you can drive there.  He often works at home and does artwork and then just calls the shop and says "arts ready" and then they open it locally and do what they need to do (print banner, films whatever).

Was that a long enough post? ;)