Author Topic: CCI D-white 305 screen?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
CCI D-white 305 screen?
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
Is it possible? I have a very detailed design that I want to do with discharge. Or should I use a 230.

Its for 100 black Nextlevel 100% cotton shirts.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: CCI D-white 305 screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
Yes here's one from a few months back

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
Just CCI white and activator? Did you thin it out with water? I have 6 designs that I have to do that are really detailed if its easier I could put them on 230 but I don't want to use a lower LPI if I don't have to. I was thinking about doing a 45 to 50 LPI. (I am afraid to go higher)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
Yes that is one screen two passes. Maybe about 5%water added. Actually it is 60% base or binder and 40% white for softer hand and more subtle look. Sorry just remembered.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Ok so will 100 white print just as well in a 305 screen with 2 passes. I can (clear) base it down some if you think it will print better that way. I know nothing when it comes to discharge. I just don't want to mess up a bunch of shirts this job is 5 designs 100 shirts each and they need them in 2 days. ($$$).

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:54 PM »
Thin the D-White with water for sure.  You need not only the discharge itself but enough of the white pigment to penetrate those shirts, if the base gets through but the white pig is floating up top on the fabric they won't wash well. 

Hopefully you sourced something with a nice, tight weave on the face for this.  EDIT:  I see you have next level, didn't someone say they won't discharge?  Swab test one asap.  A poorly discharging shirt would fubar a job like this I think.

As far as adding D-Base (clear), that's going to depend on the art and how "white" it needs to be but it will absolutely make the ink easier to pass through yer 305 mesh. 

We've had great results up to 225 w. 55lpi and D-White, straight up with probably about as much water as activator by weight, so 6%ish, to thin.  I like to use the warm water from a teakettle to dissolve the activator and then stir that mixture in at high speed, activating and thinning all at once. 

Thin too much and your opacity drops as does the print quality with the runny ink but if the white pigment is flusterclucking in the mesh openings then it may actually increase opacity.   Got to find that sweet spot for the job. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:28:30 PM by ZooCity »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
good info. Now what LPI? whats the limitations on LPI with waterbase? is there any or is ti just like plastisol.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »
Yes that is one screen two passes. Maybe about 5%water added. Actually it is 60% base or binder and 40% white for softer hand and more subtle look. Sorry just remembered.

Printing over the collars like these show, did you use spongy plattens? I've never felt that printing intricate art on my spongy shirtboard covers would yield much in the way of consistency of halftones. I use doubled neoprene wetsuit material, much like a mousepad.  Results are mediocre, except with solid blocks of spot color. ESPECIALLY mediocre when using a double hit.

Stan

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 12:24:36 AM »
Thin the D-White with water for sure.  You need not only the discharge itself but enough of the white pigment to penetrate those shirts, if the base gets through but the white pig is floating up top on the fabric they won't wash well. 

Hopefully you sourced something with a nice, tight weave on the face for this.  EDIT:  I see you have next level, didn't someone say they won't discharge?  Swab test one asap.  A poorly discharging shirt would fubar a job like this I think.

As far as adding D-Base (clear), that's going to depend on the art and how "white" it needs to be but it will absolutely make the ink easier to pass through yer 305 mesh. 

We've had great results up to 225 w. 55lpi and D-White, straight up with probably about as much water as activator by weight, so 6%ish, to thin.  I like to use the warm water from a teakettle to dissolve the activator and then stir that mixture in at high speed, activating and thinning all at once. 

Thin too much and your opacity drops as does the print quality with the runny ink but if the white pigment is flusterclucking in the mesh openings then it may actually increase opacity.   Got to find that sweet spot for the job.

Hey, we discharge on 300+ plus mesh. Of course every design is different and we only use what is required for the art. And yes, Next Levels are not the best for discharge. Take a look at that photo again. Two NL styles side by side. Both black substrates but different black and same for the discharge white due to the different black dye ratio. Awesome print but the press operator and the ink department is not at fault for that. And it works for this design but try doing it in say a bright lemon yellow or a bright neon green on those NL's and see what happens. I did a bunch of band shirts for a dude awhile ago and took everything out of our black stock. Ports, Gildan, AA's, NL's, FOL, Hanes, and the NL's were the dullest followed by Hanes and Ports. But that was for yellow not white and it really doesn't matter anyway as when the dye house mixes black at any of those brands facilities they use all of the leftover dyes combined to mix it up. Makes sense to not waste. We do that with plastisol, correct? If not you should and offer it as an "off black" to certain clients. Perfectly good ink and not wasting it. But to get back to the point it does make it really hard to make exact discharge matches every run for the same client in between weeks or months or even days sometimes.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »
And I just looked at that photo again! Hahaha. Looks like a 100% cotton next to a blended v-neck. Something about v-necks and the material blends just doesn't do it for me. I just don't have the confidence to rock one!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 09:20:41 AM »
This print is eight ys old. Black WB plus three colors discharge. 60 line 305 meshPrinted a few thou on this without stencil breakdown or the dreaded "sliming" I keep hearing about

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »
This print is eight ys old. Black WB plus three colors discharge. 60 line 305 meshPrinted a few thou on this without stencil breakdown or the dreaded "sliming" I keep hearing about

Hey Tony,
I don't think the pic is popping up. And what is the "sliming" people are talking about? I must have missed it. I'll do a search.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:36:03 PM »
Sorry low camera battery.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »
Try this

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:19 PM »
Pat B! Awesome. Here is one for Vicci Martinez. Not as cool as Pat but a good print