Poll

What PRINT OFF option would you like to see?

#1,  All three shops use the same setup.
3 (33.3%)
#2,  Use a 6 color manual, 8 color auto and a 12 color auto.
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: PRINT OFF for Sim process  (Read 4551 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
PRINT OFF for Sim process
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
Participants needed for SIM PROCESS PRINT OFF.

I am wondering if we can get at least 3 people/shops with different presses to print my same set of separations. I had always wanted to see the differences. I'd like to see the results of my seps from 3 different shops.  We could do this 2 ways.

#1, For a TIGHTER comparison, have All three shops use the same number of screens/colors, mesh count, angle and dot shape. 7 colors on an auto.

#2, All three shops intended to be of different calibers. Meaning, 1 shop is a 6 color manual. Another is a 8 color auto and the 3rd is a 12 color auto.

I start out taking my mutli colored art file and separating it down to 12 colors, then 8 and then 6.
In this case, we know the 6 color on a manual is not going to match up to a 12 color done on an auto...but we've all wondered how well or how much different is that 6 color going to be from the multi colored auto.  Will it look 10% better or 40%?  What would be the difference with the 2 colors added and on an auto? 10% better or 60% better?

It would be an interesting experiment.  What test would you like to see?  Please vote in the POLL above and then we can try to get some shops to actually print for this experiment.

Once we have printed them, each printer can get a copy sent to each other and we can post pics.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline prozyan

Re: PRINT OFF for Sim process
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:14:13 AM »
I personally think it would be more educational and informative for shops of varying size to take on the project.  If just shops with access to an auto, then it just becomes a basic print contest, especially if the equipment is somewhat equal.  While it is interesting to explore why one shop might be able to produce a superior print to another shop, it really isn't much more than an average run of the mill print contest.  However, if multiple shops take the challenge, ranging from manual to auto, then it is not only a print contest, but also something that could be used to point out the differences (aside from the obvious ones) between manual and auto shops.  It might even be fun to have each shop detail the process, going from set up and run time, so those differences can be explored as well. 

Great idea, Dan.   :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:22:33 AM by prozyan »
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Big Frank Sports

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:34:44 AM »
I print on a Manual machine and would like to see how it would print that way. An auto is in my future but won't be an 8 screen or higher due to money at the moment.

What I would love to see is how this all can be printed on a manual.

Frank
Frank Allnutt
Your Logo, Motto or Photo on just about ANYTHING! 304-982-7159 - don't let the video phone intro SCARE ya!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:51:46 AM »
I'm game..........might be interesting to compare and contrast std plastisol vs discharge. Depends on the seps though.
tp

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
I say lets not stop with three! We can have more than one entry in each category. This is not a competition, but an evaluation.

The results can be analyzed and reported back. It would be a compare and contrast type of thing. So it might be a showcase for some, but a learning opportunity for others. There is always something to learn . . .

Anybody entering would get an honest feedback on how they are different from the others.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:20:08 AM »
I would like to see how my Brown auto would compare, but I only have 6 opaques.

I could do the 6 color manual though.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
I'm in for manual (If there is a newbie category:))

One color on white LOL

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:38 AM »
I only have a 6 color auto but would love to try it. Biggest issue I see tho is color matching, we here do not use a mixing system, I think frm what little I know about sim is you need to mix colors. Correct?
"No man is an island"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »
I only have a 6 color auto but would love to try it. Biggest issue I see tho is color matching, we here do not use a mixing system, I think from what little I know about sim is you need to mix colors. Correct?

Yes, or you can order the specific mixed pms inks from your ink supplier. It's more expensive but you can get PMS colors.
Why not mix your own inks?  Pierre has one of the more simpler mixing systems (if I can do it, you can) and it was pretty cheap I think.

P, chime in.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
Wilflex among others has the PMS colormatching in a free download. You just need to invest in the primary mixing colors and a rather cheap Acculab scale. No Brainer.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
We never had the need for mixing here since we never did sim or anything like that. A mixing system is something I want to upgrade to in time especially if the work requires it.
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
I only have a 6 color auto but would love to try it. Biggest issue I see tho is color matching, we here do not use a mixing system, I think from what little I know about sim is you need to mix colors. Correct?

Yes, or you can order the specific mixed pms inks from your ink supplier. It's more expensive but you can get PMS colors.
Why not mix your own inks?  Pierre has one of the more simpler mixing systems (if I can do it, you can) and it was pretty cheap I think.

P, chime in.

I use Unimatch for my sim process and color matching. You can get a test kit from them with all the colors, some white and soft hand extender for $250 or so. It comes with a book with all the formulas and 14 different colors. You can download the software from their web page.
Many others offer similar systems, I just don't know if they have a sample starter kit that comes with everything  you need.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought the scale (good for 0.1g accuracy) for $15, so for under $300  you cna have a everything you need.

On the other hand, some basic colors can be mixed from the stuff you have in stock, just ask Matt (baloonguy)!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Clark

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
We never had the need for mixing here since we never did sim or anything like that. A mixing system is something I want to upgrade to in time especially if the work requires it.

We only run about 1-2 sim process a week, but very rarely does a job come in here that doesn't need several pantone matches.  It's so rare we use standard colors anymore, I've thought about just buying 5's of every MX base color and mixing every color for every job.  Would sure take up alot less room for ink!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
CLark don't buy 5's of every MX color. We rarely use the magenta, violet, green, flo red and flo purple. Might want to get those in gallon containers, something to think about.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:59:20 AM by Orion »
Dale Hoyal

Offline Big Frank Sports

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »
Just to make it interesting - 230 mesh vs 305 mesh on a manual

frank
Frank Allnutt
Your Logo, Motto or Photo on just about ANYTHING! 304-982-7159 - don't let the video phone intro SCARE ya!