Author Topic: Neoprene foam on the platen - for over seams, etc.  (Read 5432 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Neoprene foam on the platen - for over seams, etc.
« on: September 24, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Looking to ease some of our over the seam, collar, etc. jobs with squishy foam on the platen.  We do fine as is but I'd like to refine things a little.

Kinda found sourcing this material to be a pain, I have a sample sheet coming in from both a foam co., and absorbent pad mfg, then trying to get some info from M&R about theirs (they have two), Action's is a grey area for using wb inks....nobody wants to sell sample sizes (like a platen's worth) and I don't really want to buy $60-100 worth of some material I can't use and can't return. 

Holding out for the absorbent pads as they're affordable and should work well with the wb inks.

Not asking for anyone to share their great secrets or anything but any guidance would be helpful.  How thick should it be?  Anyone make a good one I can just go-to and be done with it?

Offline Croft

Re: Neoprene foam on the platen - for over seams, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Not sure what area you are in but in mine I go to an industrial supplier called RUBBERLINE ( sorry only in Canada) but they are a rubber supplier for industry , they sell rubber hose, conveyer mat etc..
 I took a scrap piece of  rubber from a scorched M&R platen and they matched it.   

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
Zoo -got to JoAnne Fabrics. I just bought a scrap piece of neoprene for 8.00. . covers 3 platens.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:38 PM »
Zoo -got to JoAnne Fabrics. I just bought a scrap piece of neoprene for 8.00. . covers 3 platens.

Ha, was just there buying muslin and couldn't find anything like that.  I'll look again.  Not trying to be a total cheap ass but $25-35 a linear foot for stuff that may not work?  Nah. 

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
I've used this company for both foam for over seams as well as my vacuum blanket.  The link is for 1/8 inch thick but they have different thicknesses.

http://www.cleverbrand.com/default.aspx?CN=6E2649DD24E7

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:14:58 PM »
I love jo anne fabrics, I bought 150.00 worth of materials to turn into applique.

you could always send Pierre 100.00 and he can tell you the "trade secret" product. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
I've used this company for both foam for over seams as well as my vacuum blanket.  The link is for 1/8 inch thick but they have different thicknesses.

http://www.cleverbrand.com/default.aspx?CN=6E2649DD24E7

How'd the 1/8 work?  I'm thinking 1/8 for side seams and collars, 1/4 for anything else?

The stuff in the link, as well as through various other places is half or less what industry suppliers are asking and no one has laid out what makes their 2-3x more expensive product better. 

Ohhhh, 'trade secret'.  Pierre's post of his over the seams were badass, some of the best I've seen, might be worth a benjamin.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
I love jo anne fabrics, I bought 150.00 worth of materials to turn into applique.

you could always send Pierre 100.00 and he can tell you the "trade secret" product. . .

actually, that would be Rick Roth . . . I am just not at liberty to divulge his R&D info even when I paid for it. But I'll tell you it is not neoprene!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

actually, that would be Rick Roth . . . I am just not at liberty to divulge his R&D info even when I paid for it. But I'll tell you it is not neoprene!

pierre

Hmmm...I read somewhere today, that every man has his price... ;D
Dale Hoyal

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
Trade Secret? This was done 30 years ago fellas!
I know! whats old is new again.
Silicone soft sponge rubber(ie: used on heat transfer machines,etc.)
Not Cheap.
It resist heat in the 300+ degree range (good for flashing)
3/16"-1/4" common thickness works good under garment seams.
Buy small quanities from mcmaster-carr, large quanities t&f industries,etc.
10-30 duro
Good Luck!
winston

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:56:35 PM »
Great info, thanks!

p.s.  your check is in the mail. ;D
Dale Hoyal

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »
Not Cheap.
10-30 duro
Good Luck!
winston

Hooooeee, you weren't kidding that stuff ain't cheap.  Probably very handy if you need to go over seams and what not and flash though.

I would imagine that $100 Rick Roth is asking for goes toward finding a solution to this that is cost effective?   I'd be awfully let down to pay that to learn I need to shell out quite a bit more.   ;)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Not Cheap.
10-30 duro
Good Luck!
winston

We have used that stuff from McMaster before. It does work good foe when flashing is needed. But for basic 1 color stuff, we actually have used our pillow/cushion/whatever you call it from our heat press. Also have had some luck with this:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1853/Foam/1-4-x-24-x-250-Foam-Roll

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
here is an industrial supplier, they have distributors all around the country,
quality stuff
http://garlockrubber.com/primary/products/engineered-sheet-rubber/

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
Not Cheap.
10-30 duro
Good Luck!
winston

Hooooeee, you weren't kidding that stuff ain't cheap.  Probably very handy if you need to go over seams and what not and flash though.

I would imagine that $100 Rick Roth is asking for goes toward finding a solution to this that is cost effective?   I'd be awfully let down to pay that to learn I need to shell out quite a bit more.   ;)

for $100 he'll send you a sample and tell you where to get it. He'll also explain the process and hold your hand over the phone if needed. The stuff is pretty cheap. I think I spent $70-$80 to do the whole press. . . In my book, spending $100 to save myself the time and headache of figuring out the pressures, speeds, thickness and any other detail is totally worth it. Rick said they spent a week doing the RnD for it. For that small amount I get the results from one of the best printers in the country! AND I know it will be right!

pierre

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!