Author Topic: Rollers vs Statics, an idea.  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Northland

Re: Rollers vs Statics, an idea.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
I've been on the fence for a while regarding roller frames. But there is a local supply shop that has a trade in program. They bring the frames to me and I give them the "cores" back. No waiting on re-meshing.

It's just me so the big sell is NO reclaiming. I do keep the chemicals ready in case of a rare exposure mishap.I don't tape the ink side of the screens anymore.

I was efficient in reclaiming but who enjoys it? After doing the math for the number of screens I process it's worth the cost for my sanity and frees up 1 day a week for me to do anything else. I can double the cost of the screens and I'm still less on setup costs compared to some of the other shops in town.

Again, no reclaim, fresh mesh for each job, less chemicals, less tape. I would check and see if your local supply place does trade-ins.
I have been considering this as well but with the Panel Frames. I hate reclaim and as long as you charge for it you would never have to reclaim a thing. Figure 20 screens a week for a slow shop like us x $13 per mesh panel = $260 x 4 weeks = $1040 per month. Now is the 4 days of reclaiming per month plus cost of chemicals worth it? Maybe so if you can land more work to fill up the 4 days you saved from not reclaiming anymore.
??? reclaiming 20 screens is an hours work (with a dip tank).
Chemicals... less than $.25 a screen

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Yeah, even my new guy did 14 screens in two hours tops and that is with inferior gear. :p

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
Our employees do about 30-40 screens in less than a half day and they aren't like killing themselves to keep that pace. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »
Seems like a waste of mesh to just toss out after each job. Reclaiming isn't so bad and it is definitely cheaper than getting a new mesh panel for each job. Small operations are great because you can just go in on a saturday, reclaim a weeks worth of screens and get them coated, then you're good for the week. I try to always have 5-8 coated screens ready to go for the week.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:05:00 AM by Nation03 »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
Tell you what Gerry... if you go this route, I'll give my UPS account number and you can just pull the panels and ship them to me when you are done... I'll pop them in and reclaim them. ;)

On second thought, I REALLY think you should go this route. :p

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
Sheesh I was just showing it as a simple mathematical equation. Just replace the 20 screens with however many screens you do in one day. It works out the same as what the man says he does by trading in his static's after 1 use regardless of how many you do. Maybe even cheaper
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:36:14 AM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Yes, we're probably both a 1 person shop. In addition to the time you must consider your personal hourly rate that is factored into to the cost. Add that to your re-mesh cost. I'm at less than $10 per screen on trade-in.

For the other static shops how often are you cycling through re-meshing or new screens entirely? Using the static for months to a year at a time then, yes, reclaiming should be cheaper. If I had staff with some open time to fill during the week then absolutely reclaiming factors differently.

Why would I want to reclaim on a saturday? The work week is long enough :) There is still personal cost to that time right?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
I guess I just don't mind working on saturdays. I personally don't go through too many screens so to go in on a saturday, reclaim 10 screens and coat them is an easy day. I can get everything done before 11am and call it an early day.

I'm not bashing anyones system. If it works and the numbers work, definitely do what is easier for you. Hell, having a brand new screen for every job doesn't sound bad at all! lol. I've been using panel frames lately. Kinda iffy on them, but they get the job done for now.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:45:15 AM by Nation03 »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
On the topic of work hardening the screens before glue set to frames here is a thought or two....

Frog posted some data a bit ago about how how when mesh is heated it actually increases in tension quite opposite to the common thought heat offers expansion thus relaxation.
So to work harden a stretched mesh possibly a number  of heating / warming cycles causing the mesh to expand / contract much like a new  rubber band becomes "seasoned" with a few quick stretches and makes a much better rubberband. ;)
We have wanted to try some of this heat cycling on our roller re-mesh jobs but simply have noit had time to look at it.

the other thought is if you are trying this on wood frames forget it if you are not using metal frames you are wasting time and money and chasing aghost you will never catch.

mooseman
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:51:58 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
I guess I just don't mind working on saturdays. I personally don't go through too many screens so to go in on a saturday, reclaim 10 screens and coat them is an easy day. I can get everything done before 11am and call it an early day.

I'm not bashing anyones system. If it works and the numbers work, definitely do what is easier for you. Hell, having a brand new screen for every job doesn't sound bad at all! lol. I've been using panel frames lately. Kinda iffy on them, but they get the job done for now.

Absolutely, I'm glad you didn't take that as an attack.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
I've been on the fence for a while regarding roller frames. But there is a local supply shop that has a trade in program. They bring the frames to me and I give them the "cores" back. No waiting on re-meshing.

It's just me so the big sell is NO reclaiming. I do keep the chemicals ready in case of a rare exposure mishap.I don't tape the ink side of the screens anymore.

I was efficient in reclaiming but who enjoys it? After doing the math for the number of screens I process it's worth the cost for my sanity and frees up 1 day a week for me to do anything else. I can double the cost of the screens and I'm still less on setup costs compared to some of the other shops in town.

Again, no reclaim, fresh mesh for each job, less chemicals, less tape. I would check and see if your local supply place does trade-ins.
I have been considering this as well but with the Panel Frames. I hate reclaim and as long as you charge for it you would never have to reclaim a thing. Figure 20 screens a week for a slow shop like us x $13 per mesh panel = $260 x 4 weeks = $1040 per month. Now is the 4 days of reclaiming per month plus cost of chemicals worth it? Maybe so if you can land more work to fill up the 4 days you saved from not reclaiming anymore.

Gerry,
Use that 260.00 per week to pay a part timer to come in and clean those screens. They take two hours to clean those twenty screens and use them the rest of the week for your other needs. It will free you up to grow. You can't do everything yourself if you want to grow. At some point you have to have someone out there doing the grunt work.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
Great point J.. I struggle with hiring someone and haven't looked into all that goes into it as an employer and the requirements of one such as taxes, insurance, workers comp, workplace safety requirements etc etc..

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 11:59:02 AM »

Gerry,
Use that 260.00 per week to pay a part timer to come in and clean those screens. They take two hours to clean those twenty screens and use them the rest of the week for your other needs. It will free you up to grow. You can't do everything yourself if you want to grow. At some point you have to have someone out there doing the grunt work.

Yo J... shut it man... I'm working on getting some free one time use panels. ;)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »
LOL..... Gerry you know my number. Don't be afraid to call Gerry.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
Thanks J, I'll take you up on it soon. Are you going to ISS in January?