Author Topic: Wet on wet/what mesh count is best.  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wet on wet/what mesh count is best.
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:32:46 AM »
So far we have mainly be using N166 for doing wet on wet on top of a white base. Just wondering if we should up or mesh count to N205 or even N272? What are the pros and cons of using higher mesh. I assume less build up on succeeding screens and a overall better print. Anything else?

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: Wet on wet/what mesh count is best.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
I use a 110 to 200 for my base according to art.  230 -305 for top colors and top white.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
Did a 2-color over flashed white on black tees wet on wet. White was a 230, colors were 305. White was IC 711LF White. Very good coverage through higher mesh counts, and easy to print.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
we use 305 on the t-shirts and higher mesh on the hoodies.

I've found that if we use a lower mesh count, we are depositing too much ink and it is mushrooming out when the next color is printed!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
Wet on wet printing allso has a lot to do with your inks as well as your mesh count, some inks just don't do wet on wet good at all.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:22:13 AM »
Wet on wet printing allso has a lot to do with your inks as well as your mesh count, some inks just don't do wet on wet good at all.

Darryl

excellent point!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

Darryl

Examples?
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »

Darryl

Examples?

Cheap ink!  If you elect to use bargin ink, chances are your wet on wet prints will suffer.  I know from experience.  Not to say that there are not some good bargain inks available, but be careful.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
some ink formulations are terrible for wow printing.  Like the OLD Wilflex MP line, awful wow ink. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »
Maxo's fron union.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »
Maxo's fron union.
I was just thinking that.  Old SSV series from wiflex was pretty horrible WOW too.

*Most* whites.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »
The job I mentioned used yellow that I got when I bought my press second hand. I'm pretty sure it's Triangle. I started the job using QCM's XOLB Bright Red, but it has a nasty tendency to drop ink along behind the squeegee as you push it, sometimes leaving a blob on the print itself as the screen is still in contact with the shirt and pulls the blob through. Also had to wipe buildup from the back, especially where the red and yellow touched at one spot but wasn't supposed to blend. Switched to Union Ultrasoft Bright Red, and didn't have to wipe the build up off once. The edge where the two touched stayed clean through the remainder of the job. The only think I don't like about the ultrasoft is it cures too glossy.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
150/48 and sometime up for the ub.

180/48, 225/40, 310/30, 330/30 for top colors, depending on what needs to get done up top.

Yes, select high quality WOW inks (any good brand is probably fine) and don't modify them at all.  Warm, stir well and print. 

If tension, off contact, parallel is good and blades are sharp and properly set you'll get along great with WOW.   

One more piece of this puzzle are the seps- some seps (like Mr. Dan's here and I'm sure other separator's work) are made with ink deposit in mind and some (like maybe our in-house ones), not so much.  This can result in a bunch of mud in one area of the print and inadequate coverage in another area.  There's nothing you can do, no matter how pro you are at WOW printing, to fix a situation that began in the art.  I think this is a really common issue/error with sim process.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »
I got some union inks red for one that is sticky as all get out and a few other colors that don't print well wet on wet and a couple of inks from WM plastics that don't print very well.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
150/48 and sometime up for the ub.

180/48, 225/40, 310/30, 330/30 for top colors, depending on what needs to get done up top.

Yes, select high quality WOW inks (any good brand is probably fine) and don't modify them at all.  Warm, stir well and print. 

If tension, off contact, parallel is good and blades are sharp and properly set you'll get along great with WOW.   

One more piece of this puzzle are the seps- some seps (like Mr. Dan's here and I'm sure other separator's work) are made with ink deposit in mind and some (like maybe our in-house ones), not so much.  This can result in a bunch of mud in one area of the print and inadequate coverage in another area.  There's nothing you can do, no matter how pro you are at WOW printing, to fix a situation that began in the art.  I think this is a really common issue/error with sim process.

You are so correct, I would rather have GREAT seps and a sh!tty press, then the other way around.  Seps are the MOST important IMO!