Author Topic: i need some words of encouragement...  (Read 10688 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: i need some words of encouragement...
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
Why is it that everyone assumes lower priced printing is automatically lower quality.  I agree it often is, but it's not always.  Just food for thought. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Why is it that everyone assumes lower priced printing is automatically lower quality.  I agree it often is, but it's not always.  Just food for thought.

I wouldn't even care about the quality when it comes to Custom Ink, its the principal knowing they are gouging some other printer that needs the low margin work to survive, but you can bet CI is raking in a fortune.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

I wouldn't even care about the quality when it comes to Custom Ink, its the principal knowing they are gouging some other printer that needs the low margin work to survive, but you can bet CI is raking in a fortune.

But the reality is a quality print can come out of Custom Ink, they are using shops just like all of us run.  Some of them DO care about quality. 

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 04:04:46 PM »
I do not think CI has to "grind" printers very hard......There is so much surplus capacity these days I find that the printers that call me are almost begging for work....

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
12.50 for the screens and minimum order of one piece that pays about $1. That's 13.50 to print one piece. We are at $37 for the same.

I can see printers working for CI cutting corners in order to make money on the jobs.  Chances of getting a good print from CI can't really be that high (not say that there aren't any, just that it is more likely to not be as good as somebody not cutting the corners).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
Why wouldn't you have some hand outs?  Doesn't cost much?  We put some in EVERY box that leaves here.  HUGE way we earn more business. 

Do you know how many people are unboxing their order and their buddy is with them and he said where did you get these?  Boom next thing I know I get a email saying X/Y/Z just got his shirts and I was there he gave me your hand out.  Id like to order some shirts.

I put cards in there those boxes...you are all correct...Jay your right, i'm on it!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
12.50 for the screens and minimum order of one piece that pays about $1. That's 13.50 to print one piece. We are at $37 for the same.

I can see printers working for CI cutting corners in order to make money on the jobs.  Chances of getting a good print from CI can't really be that high (not say that there aren't any, just that it is more likely to not be as good as somebody not cutting the corners).

pierre
Are you saying they dont have DTG'ers for the low qtys? That really blows if they dont.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »

pierre
Are you saying they dont have DTG'ers for the low qtys? That really blows if they dont.

even with DTG, the time it takes to write up the order, process it, prep the art, pretreat the shirt and than print it, it is a losing proposition.  We need about 15 min per order of order entry (between the admin, art and production)

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 05:04:45 PM »
Very true I am just saying that I would hate to get 10 orders for 1 shirt in a day. that would really suck. I am sure its rare but still I dont see how that would work with anyones business model.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
How about asking for the chance to compete, beat their price, and show some samples of your good work, and explain how long you've been at it. Be nice, and try to make them laugh; it goes a long way.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Yes, being personable is very key.  Build report with them and they won't WANT to go with anyone else.

The bad thing is obviously you have a high turn over rate with PTA's.  But if enough people on staff KNOW "this is who we go with" then next year they will "train" the next group that "this is who we go with". ;)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »

You are absolutely right. I really didn't mean to dig on another printer and that was bad of me. I was trying offer encouragement but it came out wrong!

Offline dave58

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
Perceived Value....and Appearance....two themes that keep coming up in the thread....and both are true.

I like when people ask me..."are you part of a chain of stores?"

Good clear signage, concise clear cards, brochures and rack cards, custom printed catalogs (lots of 'em).....and a fresh coat of paint always helps.(if you have store front).

I don't want them thinking of me as one of the "tshirt guys" in the area......I want them thinking I am the PREMIER PROFESSIONAL.

First impressions mean everything
Down with Anarchy

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
I just recently picked up a local account whom got his shirts from some printer in Cali for years now.  He questioned my cheaper pricing.  He saved money on shipping as well since we could drop off or he could pick up.  He "gambled" on us. 

Not only is our design cooler, the prints are better.  He spent 3k last week, just spend another 3k this week.  We have quotes to him for another 13k that he should be paying invoices on any day.  Beating these prints were not hard at all.  I don't understand how some people push some of this stuff out the door. 

Perfect example how you can get some one on a good price and if your printing and service are good you can keep them.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
PTAs+schools=drama+politics+Pain in the ass.