Author Topic: Like head?  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Like head?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »
Dave, do we need a little one on one tutoring about posting links and attachments here?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/12/how-it-works-beer-dispenser-fills-glass-from-bottom/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 01:29:57 PM »
I get very self conscious when i hear " little head"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
All the breweries in town that fill up growlers (1/2 gal jugs) do it from the bottom up--they use a space age gadget called a 'tube'.   ;D

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
All the breweries in town that fill up growlers (1/2 gal jugs) do it from the bottom up--they use a space age gadget called a 'tube'.   ;D

Probably a beer gun to keep the foam down and the carbonation in . . .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
I should say I love head with my beer. My friend found it odd when I told the bartender to please make sure you put a head on it. I was Just wondering everyone elses thoughts.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
Very few styles of beer call for no/little head. Some of the weirder Belgians come to mind, and some
hoity toity Pilsners.

Hell Guinness invented adding nitrogen for smaller bubbles/denser foam. The 25/75 mix of C02/N2
is actually called beer gas. And then they even went and put it in ping pong balls inside of canned
beer for portability. That's how important head is. Hats off to them....

A quality beer tastes as good at room temperature.....

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »

Probably a beer gun to keep the foam down and the carbonation in . . .

Nope, just a tube--just got one at Equinox this last weekend, hell, even New Belgium was doing it that way in the liquid center the last time I grabbed one there...

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
Very few styles of beer call for no/little head. Some of the weirder Belgians come to mind, and some
hoity toity Pilsners.

Hell Guinness invented adding nitrogen for smaller bubbles/denser foam. The 25/75 mix of C02/N2
is actually called beer gas. And then they even went and put it in ping pong balls inside of canned
beer for portability. That's how important head is. Hats off to them....

A quality beer tastes as good at room temperature.....

That foam from a Guinness or Murphy Draught is thick and fine as meringue . . .

Curiously, are any of you inebriates dabbling in home brewing?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:21 PM »
I used to work for one of the nations largest homebrewing supply companies, right around the corner from my
current shop coincidentally.

I dove into the chasm of homebrewing head first. Kegged beers, counter pressure bottle fillers (like described above),
three tier all grain with recirculation and temp control, stainless conical fermenters with bottom dumps for yeast harvesting.
It's a damned slippery slope and towards then end I ended up not liking it as much. I'd like to get back into it, albeit on
a much simpler level.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:21 PM »
I had a Mr beer. Does that count? I have to tell you we made one of them and let it sit a little longer and also put maybe too much sugar in the bottled beer. We bottles it in 2 litter bottles. We were in college and one bottle stayed in the fridge a long time. Honestly we were afraid to drink it. We were in collage so throwing away beer was not an option. Finally the day came were were out of money and we drank it. It was smooth it tasted fine. Well after one 16 ounce glass I really feeling it. It was amazing that one 2 litter got 3 of us drunk.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:28:53 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 09:41:14 PM »
A lot of folks start out with a Mr. Beer. I started about a year and a half ago. I've got a tiny but surprisingly well-stocked homebrew store about 7 miles from my house. I bought the two-bucket, hydrometer, bag of caps, corn sugar and canned Coopers kit to start. I've picked up a 10 gallon pot and a cheap patio burner to do all-grain which I do when I've got the time. Bought BeerSmith software to cobble up or revise recipes. Done a couple of other Coopers kits, but generally pale ales and brown ales from all-grain or extract and steeping grains. I'm currently drinking what was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada clone, but it doesn't have the hop flavor or aroma, but it is good and has the dryness. Done a couple of versions of Newcastle Brown Ale, which everyone seems to want to copy. Both had quite a bit more roastiness than Newcastle, but were very good.
So far I've managed to avoid going overboard with the brewing sculptures and whatnot. I'd like to keep this fairly cheap to make good beer. When you can knock out two cases for anywhere from $15 to $30 of something comparable to highbrow store-bought, it scratches me right where I itch . . . a cheap-a$$.
And, of course, there's the requisite homebrew label . . .

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »
I had a Mr beer. Does that count? I have to tell you we made one of them and let it sit a little longer and also put maybe too much sugar in the bottled beer. We bottles it in 2 litter bottles. We were in collage and one bottle stayed in the fridge a long time. Honestly we were afraid to drink it. We were in collage so throwing away beer was not an option. Finally the day came were were out of money and we drank it. It was smooth it tasted fine. Well after one 16 ounce glass I really feeling it. It was amazing that one 2 litter got 3 of us drunk.

collage?  Isn't that a mixture of glued pictures on a backboard? 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
That label is GREAT Tom.     ;D

Just bottled a ginger beer and a lemon balm beer a few weeks ago--unfortunately very few commercial offerings for a real ginger ale these days...  and the lemon balm is like a lemony champagne.
I do dark ales too on occasion, working on a spiced holiday kind of beer right now...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 12:18:32 PM »
I used to work for one of the nations largest homebrewing supply companies, right around the corner from my
current shop coincidentally.

I dove into the chasm of homebrewing head first. Kegged beers, counter pressure bottle fillers (like described above),
three tier all grain with recirculation and temp control, stainless conical fermenters with bottom dumps for yeast harvesting.
It's a damned slippery slope and towards then end I ended up not liking it as much. I'd like to get back into it, albeit on
a much simpler level.

And don't forget that I still want a 5 gallon coil wort chiller if you ever come across another in one of your junk piles!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
I had a Mr beer. Does that count? I have to tell you we made one of them and let it sit a little longer and also put maybe too much sugar in the bottled beer. We bottles it in 2 litter bottles. We were in collage and one bottle stayed in the fridge a long time. Honestly we were afraid to drink it. We were in collage so throwing away beer was not an option. Finally the day came were were out of money and we drank it. It was smooth it tasted fine. Well after one 16 ounce glass I really feeling it. It was amazing that one 2 litter got 3 of us drunk.

collage?  Isn't that a mixture of glued pictures on a backboard?

LOL I guess spell check can't fix everything the right way.