Author Topic: Underbase Printing  (Read 843 times)

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
Underbase Printing
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Has anyone printed an underbase the same color as the shirt? If you were printing a Royal Blue Tee with Yellow and green Ink, would it be as effective printing a Royal Blue underbase or a white underbase?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: Underbase Printing
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
Never tried it. I don't think it would do much good though. The point of a white under base it to make the colors pop, and everything pops better when the bottom layer is as light as possible. So discharge or white is the way to go for underbases.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »
Color on color underbased have been used on occasions but it's rare. That purpose is for unique effects. Imagine the same done with white ink on white. It softens up a limited colors print by using Wet on wet. The only time to use this technique is when you don't need to pop the colors off the shirt. Let's say for tone on tone prints.

If you intend for your top colors to be bright on dark shirts, you need a bright underbase. Then, a flash after...to make sure that base stays bright and does not get picked up.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:35 AM »
would that not somehow change the top color.....say you printed a royal blue base on royal shirts then printed a top color of yellow then we might be looking at green down the road after a few washings..

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
Taking a left turn for a sec if you print a discharge blue over a discharge yellow you will get a green. We do this in some of our pre-print lines to save film/screen/ extra setup times. Often we can turn a six color into a four color which adds up as they are printed over and over and over again. Someday I'll post a pic using circles. Need to do it for Printwear anyways.