Author Topic: Dryer location in my shop  (Read 4666 times)

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: Dryer location in my shop
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
I can't see your video because I'm on my phone right now but I'm hoping you are going to have someone catching shirts in the next room? All I can think about is a shirt hanging up and up in smoke we go! Like I said I can't see the video.

I've been thinking of just getting a couple of range hood exhaust fans and attaching them to both ends of the dry to vent out the heat and smoke from the dryer. I don't know if the hoods can handle that kind of heat...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
Speaking of dryers heres what I do. This was made way back when I first started this place up. At 20 ft of heat these puppies come out pretty hot The angled fans serve the dual purpose of flattening and cooling the garments. Every dryer has one.

Offline Croft

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
For a small shop (1 person usually printing ) I really would want to see the end of the dryer and or make quick checks that what i'm printing isn't scorching etc., or in the odd case where you dream about the Ferrari your going to buy with all the money your making you forget about the heap of shirts at the end of the dryer :)
  Sorry but screenprinting= heat even in the great white north.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
Yes, I'm aware that we have heat involved in this process. :).  But while I am able to really think about this, I want to make it as cost efficient as I can. Over the years, I've seen people do some pretty creative things that were effective at keeping the heat contained and cost down. So I'm sure "something" can be done.

The room is not wide enough to stick the feed side into the wall as some have suggested. It's a narrow back room.

I could put it next to my press ( original and more obvious plan) but it takes up so much real estate.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
Again can't you just move the whole wall...if your thinking about doing any cutting and just build a another wall and both would be in the same room.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
Again can't you just move the whole wall...if your thinking about doing any cutting and just build a another wall and both would be in the same room.

Darryl

I'm not seeing the benefit of bringing a wall in closer to my press and making my production area smaller.  You may not be seeing the whole picture.  I want the dryer in the back smaller room A, to keep air conditioning cost down....and B, to keep more room available out near my press area. The dryer fits nicely in that back smaller room length wise, parallel to the wall. My press will be on the other side of that wall.

I do see where people commented on not being able to see the end of the dryer and scorching. For that reason, I may have changed my mind since I will be the only one there for a good while.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 02:21:10 PM »
Dan your a designer. Lets see the shop layout.  I did this in Illustrator way before I got my shop. see below.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 02:44:45 PM »
Nice.    I already did one, posted it hear a while a go,  but can't locate that folder today for some reason. Well, I know what i did, but can't locate it now. LOL.  Just hadn't looked hard enough but yes,  I did the layout. In fact, my space is almost the same. Sq Footage is prob. less.  I have 1300 (they cay).  Seems smaller to me. 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
You have to know how they figure the square footage. Here they do it roof drip line to drip line. Its really not fair since the drip line on my shop is 5 feet out past my outside wall. I negotiated the price so I am paying what I wanted. My place is 2800 square feet.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:52:00 PM by Screened Gear »

Online dsh

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
I've put my dryer inlet through the wall with the main part of the dryer outside the AC'd area.  I watch for scorching and cure temp when the load starts and I haven't had a problem later in the run.  I also put a small wireless camera over the end of the belt to see what's going on.  I have a small monitor where I look up while printing and can always see what's going in.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
Here is my layout again.

I can fit the dryer on the press side, but why bother if I can get more room.

dsh,  I like that. ")

Offline Croft

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »
hi your sorting staging area looks big , also it seems odd walking shirts back over to that area after printing, doesn't look like you have room to do it at the end of the dryer.
 I used to use 6' folding tables to layout but have switched to 5 rolling carts approx 24" wide by 30" long 22" tall . They can hold bout 3-400 shirts each .the spare ones are used to fold on at the end of the dryer. Staging for me is an area along the dryer to the press.  I line jobs up leaving them in there boxes and laying out just before printing.
 Personally we do alot of "contract" printing and don't pre count customers shirts has never been a problem.   If we do order shirts from a supplier it is one order per purchase order and the boxes come to us packed and ready to print.

I get the dryer in another room but its not ideal even for a small shop.

Offline Croft

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »
also is "ART" a desk area , if so why not move it up front with what I assume is a showroom/office.  If your doing end user stuff sooner or later they are going to want to look over your shoulder while you tweak there design . With that I could see another layout that could work.

A safelight room is not as nescessary with a small shop A rolling cabinet ( bakers cart with sides) or a cabinet will work . especially since you have that room that you can basically turn the lights off when you coat.
 Having screen cleaning in a room is a plus.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
Dan I would remove the wall (or atleast half of it) and make that whole space larger, the heat your trying to stop won't matter as much as you think as long as you have a pipe on your exhaust vent on the dryer going out.

Darryl
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:33:44 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
Dryer output next to ink mixing makes me cringe big time. I want un/finished garments nowhere
near my ink/washout/screen area.