Author Topic: Dryer location in my shop  (Read 4671 times)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Dryer location in my shop
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
I'd move the art area up front to open up space in the print room. Use a folding table to sort. If you have two, only open both as necessary. Move the dryer into the press room and duct the heat thru the wall to the crapper. Build a hood like Wayne's if you wanna draw more heat off the ends.
The shop I print at in Daytona has a big-a$$ed dryer ducted up into the ceiling, and the press has a shuttle flash. The room is air conditioned and never gets above 76. Now granted, it's a bigger room, but still, you feel very little heat coming off the dryer.
Since your customer area is separate, it'll stay cool. You won't be printing 'round the clock, so what heat there is probably won't be as offensive as you might imagine. And since the print area is closed off to the outside, you can always print nekkid . . . just remember to put your pants back on before greeting any customers up front . . .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
Dan,
In your layout you didn't leave any space for you to walk in or out of that corner. I know for a fact that you are built much like myself...we can't "squeeze" through like we used to. I didn't see a spot for your "XL" flash unit either.

I like the layout that Darryl did.  Minimize your staging tables and move your art to the front showroom area.  Another consideration is with your film output device.  Lots of lint in the print area that film printers won't like.

Best of luck,
Bill

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Dan I would remove the wall (or atleast half of it) and make that whole space larger, the heat your trying to stop won't matter as much as you think as long as you have a pipe on your exhaust vent on the dryer going out.

Darryl

Darryl,

That does look pretty good.  The one reason why I've kept that wall there is because of the lease. They emphasized that whatever is built here structurally, must stay as is. I would be pushing it with a small window in that wall. Who knows tho. They may allow me to put the wall back once I need to end the lease.  I will check on that.

Putting the art room out in the show room is a no go.  I don't want to be out there for people to gawk at nor, do I want to take out retail space. It's small as it is. It would take up almost half of the retail retail state.

The printer will be moved to the inside (are area) once I get one that works.

I may be over reacting to that heat fighting with the air conditioning and maybe a hood vent will work fine.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
If that wall doesn't go all the way up then it isn't "structural".

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
I think you are referring to (load bearing). It is not a load bearing wall, but they are referring to anything that is built and affixed to the building as in new walls, rooms, etc.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Am I missing something? A properly vented dryer shouldn't need range hoods or the like, and should be warm to the touch at worst on the outside skin. my 20year old HIX can run at full blast all day and still be just warm on the outside after 8 hours.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
That may be for you and your dryer.  I would venter to say, that for most dryer manufacturers, the (outside area being hot) is not a concern to them. The concern they have is how hot it's getting on the ink and rightfully so. I'm sure the they may give some thought to outside the dryer "protection" as in some type of insulation so people don't get burned. I doubt they care and most people don't care about the excess heat rising from the dryer and combatting with your air conditioning in your shop (as most production areas are not air conditioned places) anyways.

So, this is why I want to control the amount of unwanted heat outside of my dryer. Venting, closing it off in a secluded room etc. Just looking at options.  I've seen a few good ideas. One guy used that thin foam sheet insulation and built walls around his dryer. The feed was on the inside (air conditioned area) and the body and exit were all on the outside area.  Looked pretty good. Another guy (member here) created a type of funnel vent over top to take more of the heat that would rise...out.  Stuff like that.