Author Topic: Lost a print job today...  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Lost a print job today...
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
i guess i wont post a pic of the Cannibal Corpse shirt we printed yesterday - its a 4 color - printed on a 2003 10 color gauntlet with 36x42 M3 frames onto anvil 976 using action engineering "all over supreme" platens.    sure the print isnt for everyone, but it pays the bills.   

Those guys still play??? Those shirts are not for everyone to see (If they did not change in last 15-20 years, and I doubt that:))

their website shows a bunch of 2012 tour dates, although the shirts that we printed yesterday were for retail...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Zeko,

I love that art on the  NETHERWORLD PUMPKIN CARVER.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »
Zeko,

I love that art on the  NETHERWORLD PUMPKIN CARVER.

Our own artist - John Huff created that one.   i hear he carved an actual pumpkin this year - ill ask him for a pic.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »
Your examples still follow keys for the most part. I know where you are coming from just listen to Dub Step. It is as random as can be but yet appealing to some my self included.

The thing that throws me is let say your buddy is playing random notes falling out of key but the back ground music lets say the base is on key it should sound terrible, just like hitting two notes out of key at the same time blah!

No one said he was playing a minor 2nd to the current notes.

Look at a blues scale, it uses the tri-tone and that is what makes it "blue"... but played incorrectly and it sounds atrocious.

Or the Melodic Minor scale.  Ascending it contains a flatted 6th and 7th when descending... these are "technically" out of key by "traditional" standards... yet jazz musicians have been "making them work" for years.

My buddy Chris just took it to the HNL (Hole... Nudder... Level!)

What was really insane is he would finger tap to this "scale".... loop it and the shift up and tap a "harmony" on top of it.  Beautiful chaos.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »
Steve that is true for a lot of bands but not all of them.

Take a band like Helmet (granted, not one of my favorites or overly offensive (if any)).  They play some pretty mindless "heavy rock" (some might call it "metal")... but are all graduated jazz majors.

I know plenty of rock musicians that have an insane amount of musical knowledge, from counter point melody to jazz comp.  Yet when done with their schooling they just go crank out some buck cherry esque "stupid rock".

One of my friends once would make random dots on a fret board and then learn that as a scale and then when he wanted some off the wall sounding stuff to play over something he would use that "scale".  You would listen in awe as the beautiful noise that came out made no sense but at the same time made all the sense in the world when he played.

Then there are groups like Slayer that had to take guitar lessons just to even learn what they were already playing at an arena level because they were completely clueless and just knew how to "market" (like andy said) to a bunch of ignorant kids.

One of my favorite bands is Faith No More... many times on B-Sides or whatever you will find songs in "off genres" that seem to be there just for the sake of saying "in case you didn't know, we could play this if we wanted to... and play it well."

Didn't get a chance to get back to this the other day... I did say "most of the rockers I know", it's not a blanket statement. Obviously, there are players who know their stuff and choose to play whatever. I have friends who play real classical guitar, and metal, my point is that they are credible, knowledgeable craftspeople, who can play by ear, or read. In other words, they did their homework.

One of my friends once would make random dots on a fret board and then learn that as a scale and then when he wanted some off the wall sounding stuff to play over something he would use that "scale".  You would listen in awe as the beautiful noise that came out made no sense but at the same time made all the sense in the world when he played.

I cant wrap my head around this Kevin, while I am not an overly talented musician I am capable in several instruments and quite proficient in reading music and understanding musical theory. But when you play random notes all over the fret board it is and will be out of key completely, so how on earth can this be made to sound good?

And that is the genius of his playing.  I don't think you could give that "scale" to just anyone and have them play it and it sound good.  But when put in the right context at the right moment... and over the right piece of music, it "worked".

Again, it also wasn't meant to sound like traditional music or "solo'ing"... it was meant to be off... but it was off in a uniformed manner that made sense.

Think of NIN, Downward Spiral... I can't remember the track but he went in the other room put on the headphones and started sound checking the drums by just kind randomly wailing on them.  He then decided to keep it.  It sounds very odd but it works.

The drum "solo" on 46 and 2 by Tool has a similar odd feel that puts you off but comes together in the end.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't