Author Topic: I need help  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Doug B

• !!!
Re: I need help
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »
Ink used was wilflix quick white and ultasoft gold ink from union.

An ink tech will probably know, but I think that 2 different brands and 2
different types of plastisols might not be playing together well. Many, many years
ago I had problems like this crop up. Might be different nowadays, but it's a thought.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
I'll chime in with the base being over cured. I always read that the underbase is just gelled, allowed to cool if you can, then overprinted. Not that this is news here...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Looked at invoices and these were done last December.

I had the auto for about a month, but I pretty sure I did these on the manual press at the time cause I was working on issues with the auto.  She also said it wasn't all of them just some.

I guess I'll check my heat, hopefully be able to do just one underbase print on the auto.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 12:14:41 PM »
One other thing I could have mentioned--if you go small to large or large to small, find out if it's only certain sizes.  If you left the flash temp the same throughout the run, but the platens warmed up a lot, the ones at the end of the run would be more susceptible to this.

And I'd agree, Frog--it's definitely possible to overprint a cured print and have it stick, but I'd also say it's not a sure thing. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
It is really worthy a side topic of it's own, but Jester brought something up that has annoyed me a few times over the years.

When a print fails, damn it, I want to know immediately so that I can get a handle on a possible problem ASAP!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
Just a thought...Was the ink flaking off on the edges of the print and not in the center? When I check my cure temp with a laser I make sure to check the outside edges. With smaller dryers you can get a huge difference in readings on different areas of the print. Also large solid areas tend to be cooler than areas with less coverage.

Oh, and just another idea. If the print was gold only, you could have done it with opaque gold ink and no underbase. Not that this answers the question, but it would have saved time and prevented the problem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:14:31 PM by Ripcord »
Raster to vector conversion