Author Topic: How I feel trying to use dischage and understand it  (Read 21167 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: How I feel trying to use dischage and understand it
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
Fluorescent lights don't scare me, never have. We have skylights though, and I can guarantee that even filtered sunlight
will expose screens in a matter of seconds. (photopolymer)

For those of you that refuse to use a scale, how are you matching Pantones? And if you do it by eye, how
do you repeat it?

Never needed to match a Pantone.  When the need arises we will address it.  So like I have been very clear about and the context has been ignored, we dont need a scale currently.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
Well then let's just say this. How do you match a re-order if you run out of an ink?

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
Fluorescent lights don't scare me, never have. We have skylights though, and I can guarantee that even filtered sunlight
will expose screens in a matter of seconds. (photopolymer)

For those of you that refuse to use a scale, how are you matching Pantones? And if you do it by eye, how
do you repeat it?

Never needed to match a Pantone.  When the need arises we will address it.  So like I have been very clear about and the context has been ignored, we dont need a scale currently.

Maybe now someone will throw in an unneeded PMS swatch book with the scale-- even though you and gilligan clearly don't have any of those pesky PMS issues ;-).

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Since this post is about discharge................some examples of what the Mfgrs said you hould never try

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
Well then let's just say this. How do you match a re-order if you run out of an ink?

Most ink colors our customers order are right out of a bucket, no mixing.  Any mixing we note details and its stored with the films.  We also have proofs with details as well also stored with films and we take pictures of all jobs.  Never been a issue. 

Keep in mind we design almost everything we print, so deciding color is generally up to us.  We are fortunate enough to have customers that more or less let us pick colors and such.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »
I've always suggested that with emulsion in liquid form that UV is less of an issue.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Since this post is about discharge................some examples of what the Mfgrs said you hould never try
I was amazed at the lack of knowledge that the reps had at this years show. I asked several how their garments discharged and they said we could not do it that it does not work. Showed them a few pics on the Iphone to show them otherwise. Lots of jaws dropped.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
I just wish they would not over die bad discharging colors with good discharging colors. The last few runs I have done the Smalls have all been over died. They still looked fine but the white had a bluish tint to them. They were gildans

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
Most shirt vendors and many ink suppliers don't understand discharge. Moreover they are scared shitless that some one prints an order and suddenly it won't work. At Nike back in the day the only guarantee in writing was with Sericol and Fruit.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
Canvas 3001u says "guaranteed dischargeable".  Curious about that, probably just means no overdyes.

Got a dude that's telling me I can spec out garment orders from him to be discharge friendly....we'll see.

I'm with ya Tony.  Here's a Purple 50/50, not only discharged completely and perfectly but.....drum roll.....this DC ink was activated, ran, sat on the shelf for a month, re-activated and then printed on this shirt.  Breaking, like, all the rules here.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »
Breaking, like, all the rules here.

Keep doing that, you will be hated as much as me.  :D

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
Dude you are such a rebel, I mean a rouge.

Really though- you don't have a physical Pantone coated and uncoated set?  That's print design 101 homie.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2013, 03:47:36 PM »
Wait you claim to be a designer and don't have a pantone book. What else don't you have photoshop?

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:22 PM »
Classic case of letting the manufacturer/supplier/distributor giving advice that isn't necessarily sound. I had two discussions with industry supply veterans who were astounded to hear what we do with discharge. Talk about breaking the rules! They were going around telling customers to stay away from halftones and high mesh

I print a negative of the black plate on CMYK-on-black jobs with discharge all the time. Once you learn to deal with keeping the highlight dots open, it yields a superior print because there's far less dot gain in the midtones & shadows. You get a much smoother fade-to-black transition at the edges with discharge than what's possible with Plastisol.

55 line on 230/40 double-stroke with a 60/90/60.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
Wait you claim to be a designer and don't have a pantone book. What else don't you have photoshop?

We use MS Paint.  Export to BMP.  We sep it with our vinyl program, then print.  We take that print and hand color the velum's, expose with the sun.  If its dark out, we use my headlights of my truck. 

If you believe all of that, I got a bridge in China ill sell ya.