Author Topic: Ink PMS matching system  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Admiral

Ink PMS matching system
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:57:06 PM »
I'm looking into the systems and looking for advice on what to go with.  We currently use mostly QCM inks(QCM for colors, wilflex for white, rutland for black / PMS matches).  Since Rutland owns QCM now will there be any potential issue of going with their QMX matching system? Is there anything better about Rutlands M3 system? These are the 2 systems I'm considering, but is there another I should consider?

Right now we buy the PMS matches from suppliers but if we went with one of these systems it would pay itself off pretty quick.  Ink would need to print WOW which I believe these systems do fine. 

Offline inkstain

Re: Ink PMS matching system
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 07:31:24 PM »
Aloha,
Here's my experience:
I used to use union mixo system which I liked but my closest distributor stopped selling it for some reason and started carrying QCM inks, I purchased the QMX system from them and used it for a while but don't like the fact that a bunch of the colors you make are very transparent.  To me it worked OK, but wasn't really satisfied.  I really liked the union mixo system cause it was very opaque.  In time I ended up purchasing more union mixopake inks.  Now the qcm ink are sleeping on the racks. 

I've never tried the rutland mixing system so I couldn't help you with that.
Hope it all works out for you.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
What's the product availability in your area and who has what in stock would be the first place id look.

I can get any ink I want here, shipped in or delivered next day as I imagine you can as well so it's what brand do you prefer. M3 is a great system as is Wilflex so you can't go wrong with either, you're choice.

The software for each is fantastic and the color matches are pretty much spot on.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »
Speaking of the QCM transparent thing, we did get 1 PMS match that was a light blue and you couldn't see it when it was printed really...was a 5 color sim process though so the print still turned out good.

Basically QCM, Wilflex, Rutland we can get next day pretty easily. I'll look further into the Wilflex MX system, will probably be between that and the Rutland.

One reason why I was leaning towards QCM was that we already have all of their colors and fluorescents, but I will go with whichever system works best.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:19 AM »
We purchased the Wilflex Epic pc starter kit just recently. It just under $300 and comes with a gallon of base 14 pigment concentrates and some white for mixing colors. You can download the required software from Wilflex's website. If I were you I would get that starter kit and see how it works out for you.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 08:11:56 AM »
QMX was going to be my first choice. Is there any way around making the colors so transparent? What if you mix the colors using very little or no transparent base? I thought the QMX system was suppose to mix opaque inks.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
We've been using the Union for many years; it just works for us, and we never get complaints on the color not being right. Of course, it's not dead on because of the difference in printing processes, but all customers are forewarned about that so that they can't throw up in our faces. The matches are very close.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
I also use the Union Mixo (but have to admit that availability has declined since the new formulations have come on to the scene, at least from Midwest)

One side benefit I always liked was the included formulas to match stock Union colors (some more than others though)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkstain

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:28 PM »
QMX was going to be my first choice. Is there any way around making the colors so transparent? What if you mix the colors using very little or no transparent base? I thought the QMX system was suppose to mix opaque inks.

I tried the different options that you can select from the get go rather then pantone colors and still had some issues with some colors not being transparent.  Also, did the 'no adding clear base' to the recipe, still had issues.  It just does it with some colors, but it's those colors that I use a lot.  I moved back to union mixo and no problems with it. 

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

I tried the different options that you can select from the get go rather then pantone colors and still had some issues with some colors not being transparent.  Also, did the 'no adding clear base' to the recipe, still had issues.  It just does it with some colors, but it's those colors that I use a lot.  I moved back to union mixo and no problems with it.

Good info, thanks. Guess I'll give the union system a try. I might make a Triangle account and give them a shot. Both companies are a few towns over from our shop.