Author Topic: do screens have a shelf life?  (Read 972 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
do screens have a shelf life?
« on: June 25, 2024, 05:31:09 PM »
I have some screens for a long time (years). All of a sudden 8 out 10 screens that I am reclaiming are getting totally locked up. The only thing that changed is my film. I went from a thermal film from oyo to epson inkjet. The emulsion and reclaimer are the same. I emailed the emulsion company to see if they had a bad batch or any other complaints. I have 2.5 gallons here but they are all teh same batch. I am not sure if the last gallon was the same batch or another. I am starting to stress. I have messed up about 40 screens in the last 10 days.
On a side note- who do you guys use for remeshing? Anyone in north FL or south GA?
Thanks.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: do screens have a shelf life?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 05:34:50 PM »
Spot color supply in GA Brannon and his guys do a great job

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 05:46:42 PM »
While mesh can get "brittle" after many many years, if your emulsion is locking up it's something else going on.
The only time I've seen it happen is when you spray emulsion remover (or put the screen in a dip tank) and then let
the screen dry. Number one killer.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 06:09:31 PM »
I have some screens for a long time (years). All of a sudden 8 out 10 screens that I am reclaiming are getting totally locked up. The only thing that changed is my film. I went from a thermal film from oyo to epson inkjet. The emulsion and reclaimer are the same. I emailed the emulsion company to see if they had a bad batch or any other complaints. I have 2.5 gallons here but they are all teh same batch. I am not sure if the last gallon was the same batch or another. I am starting to stress. I have messed up about 40 screens in the last 10 days.
On a side note- who do you guys use for remeshing? Anyone in north FL or south GA?
Thanks.
Is your exposure unit still working as it should?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 06:24:22 PM »
That is a good question. I will have to check when the last bulb change was but it is a least a couple of years… I will get a new bulb in and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the thought.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 06:39:32 PM »
Review every step.

Degreasing
Drying
Coating
Drying
Exposure
Post exposure
Press use
Reclaim process

I've seen stupid simple things such as a swift change in humidity throw a screen room into a tailspin.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 07:27:36 PM »
I went from a thermal film from oyo to epson inkjet.

Did you carefully re-calibrate your exposure times? Some films can have an big effect on exposure. The clarity and transmissivity of films can vary wildly and there is ink receptive coatings on inkjet film. It's possible you need a much longer exposure to have the proper amount of UV energy to punch through the new film. The detail you want might still be there and the screens are holding up ok on press, (for now) but inadequate exposure might be locking the emulsion up.

I would do a thorough step-wedge test once the new lamp is installed.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline scott316

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 04:04:41 PM »
What exposure unit do you have ? Has your times changed ? If emulsion is not exposed correctly and chemicals hit the emulsion it can lock it in.
Scott Thompson
404-583-4903