Author Topic: Famous People  (Read 4798 times)

Offline prozyan

Re: Famous People
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
That's Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston over Law and Order fame (together at least).
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
It's a commissioned piece of two characters from Law and Order, also available as prints from the artist, Brandon Bird.

My favorite, is Christopher Walken in his workshop. This guy is as twisted as me, but also has the painterly skills I always lacked.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:47:51 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »
First off, don't get me wrong. I am constantly turning down obvious rip-off, and possible problems. I am just intrigued by the gray area.

So, I have to assume that this is constantly being tested. Likenesses on printed pages in magazines and comics or comix, ok, posters not.  Pages torn out and mounted on walls?
Pages made of cotton? Pages printed on shirts?

There must be a gray area still being sorted out.

A different issue, but as for Mad magazine and comics not selling art to showcase art, I feel that you are short changing some brothers in arms for credit. It is the absolute nature of the high end of this genre. Of course I may buy an otherwise funky comic for the Jack Kirby,  or other specific artist's work.

In a similar vein, what about this guy, he certainly produces art to be showcased as art.  Does he get releases first?

[img]

The power of the press... magazines and newspapers have freedom of speech and can hire artists to embellish their pages with anybody's image they please.

The screen printing press doesn't have that power because you are not printing a medium of journalism, you are making MERCHANDISE for sale.

The painter or sculptor has the freedom to paint or sculpt whomever they want. Put it on merchandise for mass-produced private sale and there's a potential problem.

Journalism and art are protected by the Constitution's wording on free speech. Manufacturing of goods and merchandise doesn't have that protection, in spite of the food industry's lobbying efforts to be allowed to print lies and misinformation on its packaging, for instance.

An artist can make a painting of a Coke bottle with the logo and everything. If the artist tries to make a clothing line out of that painting, "farewell and adeu to you fair Spanish ladies...."

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
First off, don't get me wrong. I am constantly turning down obvious rip-off, and possible problems. I am just intrigued by the gray area.

So, I have to assume that this is constantly being tested. Likenesses on printed pages in magazines and comics or comix, ok, posters not.  Pages torn out and mounted on walls?
Pages made of cotton? Pages printed on shirts?

There must be a gray area still being sorted out.

A different issue, but as for Mad magazine and comics not selling art to showcase art, I feel that you are short changing some brothers in arms for credit. It is the absolute nature of the high end of this genre. Of course I may buy an otherwise funky comic for the Jack Kirby,  or other specific artist's work.

In a similar vein, what about this guy, he certainly produces art to be showcased as art.  Does he get releases first?

[img]

The power of the press... magazines and newspapers have freedom of speech and can hire artists to embellish their pages with anybody's image they please.

The screen printing press doesn't have that power because you are not printing a medium of journalism, you are making MERCHANDISE for sale.

The painter or sculptor has the freedom to paint or sculpt whomever they want. Put it on merchandise for mass-produced private sale and there's a potential problem.

Journalism and art are protected by the Constitution's wording on free speech. Manufacturing of goods and merchandise doesn't have that protection, in spite of the food industry's lobbying efforts to be allowed to print lies and misinformation on its packaging, for instance.

An artist can make a painting of a Coke bottle with the logo and everything. If the artist tries to make a clothing line out of that painting, "farewell and adeu to you fair Spanish ladies...."

Sounds like you are saying that fine or even pop artists can rip off graphic artists, but us T-shirt hacks better tread lightly! lol! So, can Andy Warhol sell posters of his Campbell soup ripoff? How about paintings of paintings? How about posters of paintings of paintings?

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:59:15 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
I don't know who those guys are in that art.  By the looks of it, it might be a typical situation where a painting done by an artist as a portfolio piece. Many artist can copy other licensed art and show it on a website like http://www.Conceptart.org or something to show off skills and/or practice and get critiques. Do you know more about this image?

Jerry Orbach on the left, a major broadway, film and TV guy, see Law and Order. I think the other guys sells for some financial institution ::), and acts too, also Law and Order. Sam Waterson (Picket Fences too)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't