Author Topic: How do you spell out ownership issues on original art?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
How do you spell out ownership issues on original art?
« on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
Do any of you use something like this?

For the record, I don't always use this particular invoice form, and I have even been known to send usable art to some clients for re-use.
On a case by case basis, I sometimes charge less, and less than the time involved for stuff that I will print myself,l but expect full compensation when they take my creation elsewhere or to the next level as their true logo.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: How do you spell out ownership issues on original art?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
For us fairly easy, we bill for any art we do directly and separately from the printing, so they own it.  I don't lump them together in a bill which helps with confusion on it. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
This is probably more than is necessary for a printer, but my art invoices look like this. I'm basically showing what rights are being transferred,what for and how long.

I generally grant the client rights to the design and retain rights to the incorporated illustrations.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
In my email signature, that goes with all correspondence, I include this info.
All original art created by Dot-Tone-Designs remains the property of Dot-Tone-Designs and you are granted limited usage rights to produce this order intended unless additional rights are sold in a separate agreement.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »
This is probably more than is necessary for a printer, but my art invoices look like this. I'm basically showing what rights are being transferred,what for and how long.

I generally grant the client rights to the design and retain rights to the incorporated illustrations.

...man, you are EXPENSIVE!!!   ;)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

...man, you are EXPENSIVE!!!   ;)

1 million dollars
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs