Author Topic: Smoothing Screen / Smushout  (Read 6685 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Smoothing Screen / Smushout
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

We use just enough pressure to push the fibers that are left up back into the ink and that is it. Any harder and if the ink is too soft it will spread a hair. We use Quickwhite and that stays pretty stable.

Gotcha. Is it something you do on every (applicable) print, or only for certain ones? In my mind I'd like
to just leave it setup in the head after the flash and turn it on/off as necessary. Any more effort than
that and it likely wouldn't be worth it, unless the results were spectacular.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:11:03 PM »

We use just enough pressure to push the fibers that are left up back into the ink and that is it. Any harder and if the ink is too soft it will spread a hair. We use Quickwhite and that stays pretty stable.

Gotcha. Is it something you do on every (applicable) print, or only for certain ones? In my mind I'd like
to just leave it setup in the head after the flash and turn it on/off as necessary. Any more effort than

Ask Ron Pierson for one. He recently posted here that the results (with a roller in the screen) are great!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:32 PM »

After the first couple of times we tried it has been on the press ever since. You do have to change out the screen from time to time as the heat and pass after pass break down the emulsion. We use a 70/90/70 squeegee.and usually a 195 or 230 in the screen. Higher the mesh the smoother the print. Sometimes I will throw a freshly stretched Newman in for a beat down. If it is a big image with a lot of ink we tape the teflon sheet from the heat press on the back of the screen so we can haul ass and not worry about a sticky ink. I dont have any pics of the print in a loop but it makes a big difference when viewing under a loop.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
Shaun,

I have one and am sending it back as we speak, it keeps ripping the mesh right on the edge of the roller. I spoke with Eric and he wanted to see it / repair it and send it back. I have the same issue with my flood bars, If you could take a minute and pm what you did to fix the issue I would be most appreciative.

Robert
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
We run the action roller on both our autos every day on almost all jobs. While we never had a quality issue before
, this gives us a print that I believe is more desirable. We have been doing a lot of high density gel prints where having this on press really saves time from having to heat press after drying. We leave ours up on press at all times and just check it every few hundred prints or each job. We have been doing this for a long time but with a traditional squeegee instead. The roller has saved us lots of time overall and I highly suggest it. Regarding smashing details like frog suggested we aaccount for that in the art but it smashes very very little overall. It's all about testing how much pressure works for your press and designs along with pallet temp. We run tape along the squeegee side of the screen where the roller edges travel and we can use the same screen for months this way. It's a great tool and can be beneficial to shops who dial it in.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Action1

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
In response to the issues raised on our products - I will be contacting both of these gentlemen here to discuss how this happened and how to resolve these issues. As previously stated - we have always stood behind our products and do not recall these issues being brought to our attention. If the gentlemen here did make contact and we failed to take action at Action, then I am agreeable to their right to complain in this open forum. However -  to my recollection we have no unresolved issues. We ship MHM related accessories all over the world to repeat customers who are some of the largest producers of printed garments. If this were a consistent problem for us - we wouldn't still be in business. Please allow us the courtesy of correcting the problem.

Offline Action1

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
We run the action roller on both our autos every day on almost all jobs. While we never had a quality issue before
, this gives us a print that I believe is more desirable. We have been doing a lot of high density gel prints where having this on press really saves time from having to heat press after drying. We leave ours up on press at all times and just check it every few hundred prints or each job. We have been doing this for a long time but with a traditional squeegee instead. The roller has saved us lots of time overall and I highly suggest it. Regarding smashing details like frog suggested we aaccount for that in the art but it smashes very very little overall. It's all about testing how much pressure works for your press and designs along with pallet temp. We run tape along the squeegee side of the screen where the roller edges travel and we can use the same screen for months this way. It's a great tool and can be beneficial to shops who dial it in.

Thank you for your positive comments Danny. Your timing couldn't have been better.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
I'll chime in here, we are using the roller and would not go without it any more (as mentioned before).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Even on sim-process type stuff Pierre?

That's where I'd be worried about it smushing most, but also the least likely scenario to need it.

In our case, we don't have problems with texture, but things like large vector work on fleece
can get a sort of weird pattern from the fleece itself, a kind of waffling if you will.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Even on sim-process type stuff Pierre?

That's where I'd be worried about it smushing most, but also the least likely scenario to need it.

In our case, we don't have problems with texture, but things like large vector work on fleece
can get a sort of weird pattern from the fleece itself, a kind of waffling if you will.

if we have an empty head we use it! So far have not had any issues with it that I am aware of, will have to talk to our production manger to confirm though.

we DEFINITELY use it on the fleeces and have not seen that problem. Are you using the roller or the blade?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:49 PM »
No, we don't use one currently, but have done the blade/screen/teflon in the past.

To be honest it would seem that a roller would produce even more squishout than a
regular blade, not unlike a rolling pin.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 05:23:17 PM »
'did not care for the blade, it just felt like a necessary evil when we HAD to use it. Roller just does not feel that way.
to be honest with you, I don't know about the squish, but we have not changed anything to our art and we've had the roller on the press for over a month now (if not two).
I think if you contact Action, in lieu of the previous problems, they might be inclined to work you out a deal. The roller is a little taller than the regualr squeegee and you will have to back it off some. I talked to them after we received ours and provided some feedback. My understanding is that they have made some changes (not performance, but convenience related) so yours might not be as tall as ours.

If you don't like it, they will refund you the money, so there really is very little risk involved.

pierre

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
We've had our 'Holy Roller' from Action for a while now. We use it at every available opportunity when  printing on darks.
Dial in the right pressure and it is worths it weight in gold.  It 's a great tool.  We bought one for our Sportsman with the specific M&R notched
squeegee holder,
and the roller  also fits perfectly into our  Anatol  as well. We swap it (and the  teflon screen) from press to press as the jobs dictate.. Good work, Action..

Offline Action1

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »
We've had our 'Holy Roller' from Action for a while now. We use it at every available opportunity when  printing on darks.
Dial in the right pressure and it is worths it weight in gold.  It 's a great tool.  We bought one for our Sportsman with the specific M&R notched
squeegee holder,
and the roller  also fits perfectly into our  Anatol  as well. We swap it (and the  teflon screen) from press to press as the jobs dictate.. Good work, Action..

The 'Holy Roller'  :)

John - thank you sincerely for taking the time to post this. Your comments were shared with all of our staff and it made everyone grin from ear to ear - especially me. It was even suggested that we should rename it The Holy Roller or Holy Moly Roller. May I have your contact information and consent to use this statement on a testimonial page? We are going to make a large poster out of these testimonials for our upcoming ISS-Long Beach exhibit.

Thank you again John -

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »
Annddddd........

nothin.

Robert, I'll post a picture showing the several different heights and angles of floodbars we have from Action
in a minute here. There's isn't really much you can do for the angle short of having a sheet metal bender.
The bracket is adjustable in height, but only by about 1/8".

I'll also post a pic showing the different pallets we've received and the problems with them. I've got a cheapo
caliper that'll work for this purpose.

(you're shi-tting the bed here Action)