Author Topic: Union Silver Shimmer over an underbase?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Union Silver Shimmer over an underbase?
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:26 AM »
the book calls for direct print, but I'd prefer to avoid two silver screens (on hit is not enough). Since we are printing an underbase, if we print the silver on top of the white will it hold up (very picky long term customer)? Any other issues?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Union Silver Shimmer over an underbase?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »
yes it will, but metallics over white tend to look glossy and strange to be honest.  You could try a clear d-charge underbase.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
Pierre, I,m printing union silver shimmer right now on black tees and no underbase, but I,m using a 25 mesh screen on the large areas and 80 mesh on the smaller area, if you want to get good coverage on an auto use those mesh counts and a double bevel squeege.  You might want to stroke it twice, but no p/F/p plus I,m running it last.  Brads right underbase on the color sucks

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
No base required

Lowwww mesh thick stencil, soft squeege single pass.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
I too use no UB and low mesh but what nobody has said is watch the dryer temp or they will stick together at the end or if someone is pulling and they touch (silver area) together then you have problems. I always put a fan blowing down from dryer onto belt to help cool the ink. Just my 2cents

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »
If it helps, we use Wilflex's shimmer through a Murakami 110S, 2 strokes, looks great. Maybe an Action double squeegee would take care of that in one fell swoop (or is that swell foop?)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »
I too use no UB and low mesh but what nobody has said is watch the dryer temp or they will stick together at the end or if someone is pulling and they touch (silver area) together then you have problems. I always put a fan blowing down from dryer onto belt to help cool the ink. Just my 2cents

This is a very good point worth noting. Many shimmers exhibit ghosting when stacked. Heat and pressure=bad. And yes if too hot and they exit the dryer into a box very bad things can happen.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
I print alot of the silver shimmer from Union...no UB, p/f/p. 110 screen