Author Topic: Rounding squeegee corners  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Rounding squeegee corners
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
Thanks, Gerry. I have a Smilin' Jack Blade (I think..) that has rounded corners, but it's intended usage is for manual printers....which I am. I'm not overly excited about the blade actually, but I DO like the fact that I never accidebtslly "cut" the tape at the edges of my screens with overly sharp corners as I'm moving ink around--pulling it in for use. It can be a problem with runny straight discharge ink.

Maybe I oughta do all my blades that way....but not for the same reason I'm learning about here.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:05 PM »
Don't quote me on this but I "think" if you round the edge on your whole blade you may get more saturation with water based inks.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:44 PM »
I don't see how. Aren't we just talking just the extreme left and right margins of the print stroke?? That part of the blade never sees (or rarely sees) open mesh.

Do I misunderstand? Surely you arent talking about rounding the entire length of the blade, (the sharp working edge)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »
Yes thats what this thread is about, just the outside edges. I screwed it up by saying you "could" round off your entire blade and get more saturation when printing waterbased inks. I will probably get banned from this site for even trying to think on my own  lol.  :-X

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Ahh yes. I see what you meant now.

In your honor, I'm banning myself, temporarily from posting, until the end of the world, or about 6 hours....whichever comes first.

random winky winky winky

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 10:50:40 AM »
Un-rounded blades can cause premature stencil breakdown as well as increased wear on mesh. In addition they can cause "shirt streaks" which made people like Nike ballistic. Mainly on autos.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Un-rounded blades can cause premature stencil breakdown as well as increased wear on mesh. In addition they can cause "shirt streaks" which made people like Nike ballistic. Mainly on autos.

OK.  Well I have a lot to learn.  I never even thought about rounding the corners until this thread showed up, and I'm 4 years in.  :-[

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
rounded corners also make for a better print as you are not pushing as far out and are thus closer to the sweet spot of the mesh  (at least so I see it in my head).
We have one of those tools and are not using it (different manufacturer though). It works great on single duro, but is useless with triples (harder core makes it slip out).

Right now, we are cutting them with a blade and sanding smooth. I bought a bench grinder to use for it and have not had a chance to test it yet. Ask me in a few months . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
Ok I read everything, and found out I,m just one simple cheap ole bastard...I have a pc of sand paper glued to a pc of wood and all I do is rub the edges of the squeegee on it, and it rounds very nicely.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Ok I read everything, and found out I,m just one simple cheap ole bastard...I have a pc of sand paper glued to a pc of wood and all I do is rub the edges of the squeegee on it, and it rounds very nicely.

Darryl

which is quite likely the best way to do it. It just goes to show that cheap is not necessarily bad!!!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline easyrider1340

Rounding squeegee corners
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
I have certainly ripped tape before with the sharp edge.  Guess I'll be rounding corners on squeegees next week!

Thanks!
Terry

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 12:03:49 PM »
3Deep--you think you're cheap?  I use the sidewalk outside.   ;D

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
Bench Grinder. Harbor Freight od H Depot. Sold my squeegee sharpener. To me it's a waste of time and money. I always replace with fresh material.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »
I use the concrete outside, works like a charm!
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »
A  few more endorsements like this, and some major player will market a slab of concrete specially marketed to screen printers just for this purpose.
All it may take is a catchy name and a catchy promotional video.

I have dibs on "Ground Round"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?