Author Topic: Ooops!  (Read 3735 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ooops!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
How do you advertise guns/shooting ranges without images of guns?

Its not about advertising guns for sale, in this case its about using the word RAGE and a gun. Not sure what planet some people seem to be from but around here Rage and guns when together make you think about Road rage, work place rage, school rage on and on. If people are not adult enough to recognize that then they really are out of touch.
"No man is an island"

Offline starchild

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
I think "JOIN THE RAGE" is a bit over the top.. There is nothing positive communicated in that messaging (unless they're talking about a fete). Before the school incident it would have been interpreted as politically motivated.. Rage against what? ducks or humans or zombies? Now after the school incident, it just seems distasteful and politically motivated. Not the gun billboard that says stop intruders and protect yourself, the message that contains a gun calling you to act erratic..

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
And don't forget Rage Against The Machine.

Better pull all those albums off the shelves too.

It's context Mike.  Lots of things you like are probably deemed offensive or in bad taste by some other group.  Thankfully our country isn't founded on taste but freedom.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:53 AM »
And don't forget Rage Against The Machine.

Better pull all those albums off the shelves too.

It's context Mike.  Lots of things you like are probably deemed offensive or in bad taste by some other group.  Thankfully our country isn't founded on taste but freedom.

Call it context I call it common decency.

Personally i enjoy rage against the machine but I dont use their music and blast it out for the public to hear, I have common decency. And using Rage against the machine is not the argument here, we are talking about the word RAGE imposed with a gun. Two different things.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
A fashion style can be considered "All the rage" as well.

When it says "Join the rage" I immediately think of this definition.

"4.  A current, eagerly adopted fashion; a fad or craze"

I truly do think that is this advertisers intention.

Whether it is distasteful is up for debate but as was pointed out... this spot is a highly coveted spot and unlikely anything was done last minute and this was probably months in planning.  So this guy finally got the space he wanted and he's be bad guy because some wacko went and shot up a school at the same time.  3 months ago when he possibly came up with this billboard concept it would have been perfectly acceptable.

Aren't we letting the "terrorist" "win" when we modify our behavior due to their actions?

Now, I'm not totally insensitive.  If someone would have placed this billboard across the street from the school then I would totally agree.  Or in the case of your friends the West Borough nuts... I think at the funeral is definitely in bad taste... though obviously they have the american right to do what they do, but I personally wish they would all just get some crazy disease and die. ;)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
A fashion style can be considered "All the rage" as well.

When it says "Join the rage" I immediately think of this definition.

"4.  A current, eagerly adopted fashion; a fad or craze"

I truly do think that is this advertisers intention.

Whether it is distasteful is up for debate but as was pointed out... this spot is a highly coveted spot and unlikely anything was done last minute and this was probably months in planning.  So this guy finally got the space he wanted and he's be bad guy because some wacko went and shot up a school at the same time.  3 months ago when he possibly came up with this billboard concept it would have been perfectly acceptable.

Aren't we letting the "terrorist" "win" when we modify our behavior due to their actions?

Now, I'm not totally insensitive.  If someone would have placed this billboard across the street from the school then I would totally agree.  Or in the case of your friends the West Borough nuts... I think at the funeral is definitely in bad taste... though obviously they have the american right to do what they do, but I personally wish they would all just get some crazy disease and die. ;)

You just proved my point, people associate certain things with certain meanings. A GUN and the phrase RAGE makes people think gun rage. As in using a gun to rage on your colleagues at work, or a school.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Right... but I never did.

When I see "Join the rage" even with the gun behind it, I still think fashion or fad as in the definition I quoted.

Are you suggesting that if these recent shootings would NOT have happened you would have still associated that word with the same thing?  The whole premise being discussed here is "too soon", so context is a time thing here not an image thing.

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
How do you advertise guns/shooting ranges without images of guns?

Its not about advertising guns for sale, in this case its about using the word RAGE and a gun. Not sure what planet some people seem to be from but around here Rage and guns when together make you think about Road rage, work place rage, school rage on and on. If people are not adult enough to recognize that then they really are out of touch.

You nailed it!

If you stand under this sign, (and there wasn't a small machine shop in the way), you could literally throw a rock through the classroom window that Barry Loukaitis took hostage and shot up in 1996.  Killing a teacher, 2 students and seriously mangling the arm of another.

As much as we would like to believe "Time heals all wounds" and all the other things people say, do, or believe or whatever.....it seems like every time we turn around, something similar happens again.  Which re-opens the wounds.
It's been 16 years, and the only thing that's really changed is the body count.

Even if the events in Newtown hadn't happened.  That sign was never going to stay up in this community.
Jordan is pissed because 1.  He approved it and saw what he wanted to see on the proof.  NOT what was correct.  And nobody throughout the process questioned it.  Why would they?  He's the customer, he approved it.
2.  He completely underestimated this community and missed the demographic.  He assumed that people forgot what happened here.  Because it's never talked about on the news or anything every time a new event happens.  They always seem to go back to Columbine and not the ones before it.

We like it that way.  The community & city council has gone to great lengths through the years to keep it that way.  And a major driving force is Jon Lane.  The PE teacher that saved that class and wrestled the gun away from Barry.  Jon was Mayor for years and still serves on city council.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
Maybe he should have done it like this with periods in RAGE : R.A.G.E. Reffet's Awesome Gun Experience

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:50 PM »
interesting from the Barry Loukaitis wiki page:

"As his classmates began to panic, Loukaitis reportedly said, "This sure beats the hell out of algebra, doesn't it?", which was said to be a quote from the Stephen King novel Rage, although this was later proven to be untrue"

Even though it was proven untrue, a link to a novel called Rage, and a billboard with a gun on it that says RAGE, within sight of the school is questionable.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »
Right... but I never did.

When I see "Join the rage" even with the gun behind it, I still think fashion or fad as in the definition I quoted.

Are you suggesting that if these recent shootings would NOT have happened you would have still associated that word with the same thing?  The whole premise being discussed here is "too soon", so context is a time thing here not an image thing.

When I see "Join the rage" pertaining to something other than a gun I think of fads, but when with a gun the darker meaning trumps the actual meaning being conveyed. Kevin its not an argument its explaining people cannot change how their mind perceives things, when I first saw this post and the pic my mind immediately seen the worse.
"No man is an island"

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Ooops!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 01:44:47 PM »
Just sold a $700.00 AR for $2800.00 this is a crazy country people are going insane

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:54:15 PM by sweetts »
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
Just sold a $700.00 AR for $2800.00 this is a crazy country people are going insane

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Is there any good dealers of used guns that you know of? I have been looking at new guns at Buds and Impact but it seems 80% of the California compliant guns are out of stock. Really frustrating.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 02:13:36 PM »
Gunbroker seems like a decent site but I have no personal experience with it.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Ooops!
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
Gunbroker I have used them also pawn shops

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com