Author Topic: Stack your shirts upside down...  (Read 6937 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Stack your shirts upside down...
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
I used to load with the print side up, then one day I saw a guy loading super fast with the print side down so I tried it for a few weeks and I'll never go back.  It's so much easier for me, and faster.  Getting a chance to inspect the other side of the shirt is a bonus.  My help likes to load the opposite way I do and it's a pain when we are both taking turns loading and operating the press.  I can load about 3 shirts more per minute than him, and he's been printing 10 years longer than me.  I can't even get him to try to load the way I do, I'm thinking of making it a rule to load that way.  I'm sure he'll love that.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
I did not print as many shirt as you guys, but I noticed I was doing this from the beginning. For some reason, I had shirts print side down and newer realized I was doing that until I have read this thread.

I guess I'm doing one thing right :)

Offline erickster

• Verified/Junior
  • www.BreakOut.CO
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
I have a hard time loading shirts when they're stacked upside down. I'm just not used to that. I can load shirts right side up pretty fast though!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
Well then, young Erickster, you lose out on this bonus look-see, and I suggest that you inspect all of your shirts before running.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
Well then, young Erickster, you lose out on this bonus look-see, and I suggest that you inspect all of your shirts before running.  ;D

aaaaahh, benefits of being a contract printer. I can print over the holes and still charge them!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Clark

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »
I load right side up.  I don't see how it can go any faster, but a video may open my eyes. 

As for inspecting the shirts, in my shop that is for the guy at the end of the dryer..not the operator.  But we are 80% contract, so holes and oil spots don't really matter to me..they're getting printed either way.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
I load right side up.  I don't see how it can go any faster, but a video may open my eyes. 

As for inspecting the shirts, in my shop that is for the guy at the end of the dryer..not the operator.  But we are 80% contract, so holes and oil spots don't really matter to me..they're getting printed either way.

Well, in my operation most defects that sneak through this bonus first line of defense are caught as each shirt is individually folded manually, something else that many do not do.
Thing is, except for the contract printers dealing with someone else's shirts, why replace and re-print and a holey shirt when you don't need to? Especially when many distributors won't take them back when printed?

This is just one of those little tricks that helps some people, and like learning to push rather than pull when manually printing, can take a little time and effort to unlearn the old and use the new.

My newest tip will probably get just as mixed acceptance!

Offline erickster

• Verified/Junior
  • www.BreakOut.CO
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
We printed this run of shirts last week (4000) and I was loading right side up at 78 dozen per hour. I don't know how I could do that with the shirts upside down. I guess I'd rather have the speed right now, and have to replace a couple "dirty" shirts found by our catcher at the end of the run. I guess it depends on the job. I feel like I don't have A LOT of issues with holes and stains though. But then again - maybe I'm not seeing them!  :o

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »
I am willing to bet that with 4000, there were at least 20 (if not 40-50) that were defective, unless you have discovered a new brand!

Then again some jobs fall into the over under category and you can deliver a little light or heavy.

Offline erickster

• Verified/Junior
  • www.BreakOut.CO
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
with my printing skills, there were probably 500 defective.  ::)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
I'm not questioning your skills, I just rarely get a case of shirts without at least 1 or 2 shirts with marks or holes. Often more.
You had 55 cases.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Just a note: the world record was done by loading with the shirts stacked print side down. The guy had a ton of help but I don't think he could have pulled it off loading print side up.

I adapted to this method within my first year of printing. I think once you get used to it, it is a much faster and physically more forging method.

I went to work at a new shop and the un-loader on the press freaked out at me when I stacked them that way.  "Shut up and get ready, you won't be able to even scratch your nose once I start the press." was my reply.

He shut up pretty quick aside from the occasional "Agh!!" when he couldn't yank a shirt fast enough.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Clark

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Just a note: the world record was done by loading with the shirts stacked print side down. The guy had a ton of help but I don't think he could have pulled it off loading print side up.

I adapted to this method within my first year of printing. I think once you get used to it, it is a much faster and physically more forging method.

I went to work at a new shop and the un-loader on the press freaked out at me when I stacked them that way.  "Shut up and get ready, you won't be able to even scratch your nose once I start the press." was my reply.

He shut up pretty quick aside from the occasional "Agh!!" when he couldn't yank a shirt fast enough.

I dunno.  I was there for that.  And if placement and straightness didn't matter and I had a fluffier, I'm pretty sure I could load at 2k per hour like the NBSF guy with the print side up.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »
I don't believe that speed is affected by either method once one gets used to it and into the rhythm. My point was merely the bonus inspection value which is lost when going for world record anyway.

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
I can load waaaayyyyyy faster when they're stacked upside down. Plus the flip helps
dislodge some of the lintballs.

Ya, but then you unknowingly go to lunch looking like a walking lint trap.
 :P
Much of the beauty
that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium -Henri Matisse