Author Topic: GG West Coast line AI to PS  (Read 2946 times)

Offline WhateverWeber

• Verified/Junior
GG West Coast line AI to PS
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:58 PM »
Not as cool as Lemorris' progression, but a little before and after... :)

R.Weber Design Center LLC
www.whateverwebstore.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: GG West Coast line AI to PS
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »

Awesome.

I think I read that you do the line work in vector and bring it into photoshop to render. The line work looks a little thicker here than anything we see in the rendered version, but crisp (no line work) in the rendered version so I'm assuming you make the selection and expand a few pixels? On some less detailed work, I do that but as you know, selection don't always fill those little cracks as well.

Do you just use that line as a guide and free render over top on another layer? I've done both but most times, once I have the guide, I free render on another layer. I try to keep the layers down as much as possible just for my own serenity.

I've known some to turn the line work down to 10% opacity or so and free render the whole thing to give more of a loose feel to it and also, even at more of a random painterly texture feel to it as well using some various painting brushes.

Very clean.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline WhateverWeber

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
Thank you Dan.
I use the illustrator line art to isolate areas but I don't expand.
I will "chop" areas from a copied line art channel to get line selections I want for some areas.
One artist that I used to know created all of the vehicle paint and chrome in vector using fine lines of different colors (to isolate) and expanded 1 pixel when painting areas.

I have a job that I completed recently as a layered painting that I then separated with CMYK and spot colors...I will post once the customer shows it.
I do this type of separation when we get paintings scanned and sent from outside sources.
Sometimes separated as just spot colors but when we do CMYK I always add spot colors for control...when present, greens and purples are common spot color additions.
Of course there is under color removal and sometimes grey component replacement as well as throwing in memory colors if needed, mostly fleshtones.

I have painted under scanned pencil work using adjustment layers set to darken, but not for automotive pieces.
Pretty cool results...flattening and running paint daub filter after yielded some nice effects.
www.whateverwebstore.com

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Just beautiful. Wish I had the customers who needed this type of stuff more often. It's such a pleasure to print this kind of imagery.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
you sure have attention to detail and patience mate, i wish i had the latter
looks cool just like in the movies
Gabe

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
The detail in the reflections is awesome. Great work. Do you have any pics of these printed?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline WhateverWeber

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
Thank you kindly, much appreciated. :)
I tried to grab a shot with my phone of a pellon/test square that we have at work...didn't realize what a PITA it is to get an accurate representation. ???
The photo is kinda blurry and there is color shift so please trust me when I say our production department is far more capable that these crappy cell captures.
Goodguys Rod and Custom Association has some of the West Coast Nats leftovers for sale and photos of the design printed on colored garments.
We don't have any in house, sorry. :(

www.whateverwebstore.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Nice!
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin