Author Topic: Window's is quite irritating.  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Window's is quite irritating.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
I want to throw my Windows 95 CD's at anyone's head, ninja style,  who says "mac" or "get a mac".   ::)
I've been with Microsoft since DOS 3.0. and Windows 3.0 and love 'em.

Apple does make an awesome game device, I mean phone  :P

No need to get angry, there is a simple solution.........
Get a MAC :)

Retrieving the Windows 95 CD's now...  ;)

Hold onto them, they make great coasters...

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline squeezee

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »
Windows 7 is heading towards Mac, I'm surprised that Microsoft don't sue them for copyright infringement.
Macs are now Intel based and heading towards Windows.
In a competitive industry they are both trying to do what the the consumer wants.
Windows 7 is pretty damn good, XP was a joke security-wise, anyone still using XP can stop calling it 'My Computer'.
btw my server's Linux so I out-geek the lot of you  ;)
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 06:33:23 PM »
Does anybody remember when Xerox had the first mouse navigated OS? Wow, did Xerox miss a billion dollar idea!
BTW, I used to use GeoWorks, which I think predates Windows by a few years. I even used Visi-Calc which predates Lotus 1-2-3/MS Excel. And I don't consider myself that old.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline DouglasGrigar

• Can you test, repeat, and measure it? fact or not?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
Windows 7 is heading towards Mac, I'm surprised that Microsoft don't sue them for copyright infringement.

The days of OS in court are long gone, Mac lost to Windows because of a loophole Mac (as in Apple Computer) left in the original contract to Gates and MS.

MS has always been a behind-the-curve copy of the Mac OS.

Macs are now Intel based and heading towards Windows

What would make you say that, as far as OS Mac has always had the lead and MS copies, it is the running joke in the computer industry - Microsoft’s coping machines. If anything Apple is looking to the new future of the pad, pod, and phone none of that work looks anything like MS.

Features are another story as is file format standards, as strange as it sounds it seems that both “evolve” with the needs of the customer and the industry’s new tools.

In a competitive industry they are both trying to do what the the consumer wants.

Not exactly MS has a long history of attempting to lock customers into inferior formats, squelch new ideas, copy, or buy them along with amoral marketing practices and vaporware. MS has a bad case of "not-invented-here” and use their clout to push that agenda.

Windows 7 is pretty damn good

It may well be, but the days of MS are numbered now, I certainly would not invest any money in the company, coasting on former successes and customer lock-in.

We all wondered about the paperless office in 1989 - it is just around the corner.
When there are no standards, you must make them!

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
I think it's all what you are used to.  We've had Windows and we've had MAC, and we've had Windows running on a MAC (two different times).  We'll stay with windows, thankyou.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline DouglasGrigar

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:33 PM »
Does anybody remember when Xerox had the first mouse navigated OS? Wow, did Xerox miss a billion dollar idea!
BTW, I used to use GeoWorks, which I think predates Windows by a few years. I even used Visi-Calc which predates Lotus 1-2-3/MS Excel. And I don't consider myself that old.

Xerox GAVE it away! The story is quite interesting.

Here are two quotes.

The nature of the personal computer is simply not fully understood by companies like Apple (or anyone else for that matter). Apple makes the arrogant assumption of thinking that it knows what you want and need. It, unfortunately, leaves the “why” out of the equation — as in “why would I want this?” The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a “mouse”. There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I don’t want one of these new fangled devices.
 - John C. Dvorak In a review of the Macintosh in The San Francisco Examiner (19 February 1984)

If [Apple] is smart it will call the iPhone a "reference design" and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. It should do that immediately before it's too late.
 - John C. Dvorak "Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone" in MarketWatch (28 March 2007)

Offline DouglasGrigar

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:16 PM »
I do know one thing...

Whenever a client has trouble with using a computer for graphics and printing positives, every time I switch them over to Mac all the problems from before vanish.

I have one client that ran the numbers, switched to Mac systems and is far more of an evangelist than I ever was and he was a die hard “macs suck” PC/Windows guy...

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
- John C. Dvorak In a review of the Macintosh in The San Francisco Examiner (19 February 1984)

That's not the same Dvorak who has the wildly popular Dvorak keyboard is it?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline DouglasGrigar

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »

That's not the same Dvorak who has the wildly popular Dvorak keyboard is it?

Dr. August Dvorak tried to help the world get away from QWERTY with a scientifically designed keyboard.

John C. Dvorak is a “Tech journalist” who has hung onto the industry like a leach providing partly cognizant drivel for the now rotting tech publishing industry.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 01:34:18 AM »
LOL... For those who don't know, Dot's a Mac guy who's apparently slumming so that he can serve his PC-based clients or run some kind of RIP or something.

Wash your hands when returning to work, please, Dan.

So, anyway, yes that's annoying... my wife's new laptop does this same thing. How/where's the button to make it stop?
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 03:03:41 AM »
I think it is personal between windows 7 and Dan.

I run 7 and it has been stable as XP and better at that. I have not messed with the updates settings yet and surprisingly they are much less annoying than older windows. Like I said it must be personal lol.

On a side note I know many here love Tiger Direct. My 600 watt power supply crapped out so I ordered a new 750 from Tiger. Keep in mind my PSU needs to be 24 pin with PCI express six pins two min and at least 4 SATA's. They apparently did not have the one in stock I ordered so some knuckle head thought all he had to do was grab a similarly priced unit and send. The one I got was 400, no six pins two satas and only 20 MB pin. What made it so expensive was all these cool neon lights and fiber optic cables yea.

I called them explained never swap a computer part with something else they almost will never be compatible.

For PSU's, just go with an Antec, Seasonic or Corsair and you can't really go wrong.

newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com are good places for components.

Tiger Direct is great if you know EXACTLY what you are getting and they have EXACTLY what you need in stock and you never have to return it. Otherwise, nightmare.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 05:10:36 AM »
So I head in to work in the office at 6:45 am this morning and start working. A message pops up and says WINDOWS 7 has updates would you like to defer or update now?  I click defer. (I'm in the middle of something).  It goes away.I'm into a job for 15-20 min. BAM! I see a window that says something like,...SAVE SAVE AS.... and before I figure out whats happening it fades away. Then BAM! another window comes to the forefront. Says same thing and  fades away. 

Next thing I know, It's restarting the PC.
Window's is quite irritating.
MacBook pros are pretty cheap now a days ;)
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »

So, anyway, yes that's annoying... my wife's new laptop does this same thing. How/where's the button to make it stop?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:46 AM »
[/quote]

Yup. Or even a plain MacBook. Mine is a black one I paid $1400 for almost 3 years ago. I had a G5 that I did all my stuff on prior, but early last year when I got spooked about backing crap up, I put everything on my MacBook so I could take advantage of Carbonite. Ended up giving the G5 to my kid. I plug my Apple CinemaDisplay into the MacBook and do everything on it now. Maxed out the RAM, running CS5, have Windows XP installed for using Ghostscript as needed and my credit card swiper.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
[/quote]

27" iMac for $1699.
No need for anything more, upgrade RAM so it is maxed out and you are set.
No need to mess with towers, cables and stuff like that. It comes with wireless keyboard and mice (New track pad is nice).
I hope to get it at the end of the year to replace my old iMac.