Author Topic: Dryers redux  (Read 4510 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Dryers redux
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
natural gas is still a better way of curing shirts.  I am not familiar with forced air electric, but I imagine they could use the same idea as gas.  Radiant panels just don't heat through the garment like forced air gas does.

I wouldn't hold my breath on electric solar panels, it will be a while before really good ones are really cheap.  I think we are still around 10% efficiency on them.

I did see a really cool one that reminded me of a vertical stat camera.  That was was supposed to be really good, but it was expensive, the best part was it was about the size of an exposure unit.  They were thinking a few dozen of them on top of a Wal-Mart could power the whole thing.

I don't know if the project died or was shelved or what.

I agree on all of the above.  Not experienced with the gas but anyone who's replaced a gas dryer in the home with an electric one will find themselves strongly advocating the clothes line, I know that for sure. 

From a real basic viewpoint though, you can make hot dry air with electric or gas all the same, it's hot, dry, air.  Do the laws of physics really care how it was generated?  I don't think there's anything magical about using gas to generate it, it just happens to cost less right now and is likely fundamentally more efficient because it's creating the "product" - hot, dry, air - as a natural by-product of the combustion process I would imagine. 

Solar has a lot of grants that the install companies will help you obtain or so I hear, and offsetting the install cost might make it a more feasible concept.  We're finally getting close to the end of negotiating our new shop space and I plan on calling one of 'em up just to see what the word is.  My guess is we'll never recover the install cost in a short enough time to justify blowing all that capital on it but ya never know.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
they melted  ;D

:o

solar is not an option for the dryers. The output per $ and square foot is nowhere near what would work. My guess is one would need $50k worth of panels just to run the dryer and a roof the size of walmart. Amortized, even over 20 years, it does not pay off.

My info is few years old, but I can't see much changing since then. . .

BTW, how many knew that some of the solar panels are screen printed?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
Currently assisting a company that's starting up screen printing solar panels and batteries.
They're clueless about the actual printing part, and I'm stoked because I see an area
for significant growth for our beloved process.