Author Topic: Acme Stretcher???  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Acme Stretcher???
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
This is one item I think is priced fairly ok for what it is.

I couldn't build one that would be worth my time for that price.  $400 isn't too bad.

What is shurlock's table 2k and that really isn't anything much different than this?  and a roller table 4k+?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
I posted this once before.  About $75 and some time.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline EmbellishAthletics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:24 PM »
Agree on the ShurLoc Table price...the Sefar table does the same thing for less than 1/3 the price. I think it is the next best thing next to the roller table.  I also like it because it doesn't take up much space and it's easy to move around.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
P.S.  My little DIY is hinged to the shelf coming out and pivots up against the wall when not in use.  Necessity is the mother of invention  :)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »
P.S.  My little DIY is hinged to the shelf coming out and pivots up against the wall when not in use.  Necessity is the mother of invention  :)

I was about to post how boss that was!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
I think our L2 roller table was $3200

I'm curious how stretching a screen like that in the video vs how I do it would compare tension wise after 2-3 cycles.

Offline EmbellishAthletics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
I can't comment on comparison to a roller table as I have never used one.  Our screens typically work harden after 2-3 re-tensions using the ACME.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:20 PM »
I posted this once before.  About $75 and some time.
Where did you buy the hardware with the holes .
TX

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
Had to fabricate that.  I got the design layout from Northland, a member here and elsewhere. 

It's basically one piece of flat bar steel, cut to sections and drilled out, along with one piece of angle steel, cut to sections and welded to the uprights.

If you'd like the diagram plans from Northland, just pm me and I'll send it. 

If you have any access to simple welding and drill press, you're there. 

Just use adjustable wrenches from like Harbor Freight and extra screwdrivers for the tension stoppers.

Update on the price.  I forgot I got the woodworking clamp downs at Harbor Freight for about 9.95 each so that adds another $40 to it.  You can do it without them, but it's really nice to fasten it down.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:03:03 PM by screenxpress »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
Note, Northland's was my starting point.  I made some changes to fit my needs.  Example, the wooden riser along the back to set the square bar on and I added the clampdowns that he didn't have.  To arrive at a reasonably flat surface, I laminated two cut layers of cabinet plywood which was pretty damn straight.  I figured sandwiching them would keep them level and not need a steel table.

Below are the last of the Northland pics.  If anyone want's more specs on my finished project, I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:07:32 PM by screenxpress »

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »
IF I dabble back into rollers, I was thinking about making my table work with an electric winch under it, 4 cables, one to each roller bar, weld up my own clamps, maybe a pully or two...no air needed. This manual one works, it gets them tensioned just fine but it takes a little longer than I like, still not too bad though. We usually let the screens sit until we really need them because nobody likes to stretch them haha...I got mine for 125.00 so can't complain..
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:54 AM »
Old School Tony here. I love my stretch and glue set up. Way more fun and I have a few secrets to getting the required tension. Sorry no sharing.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
Old School Tony here. I love my stretch and glue set up. Way more fun and I have a few secrets to getting the required tension. Sorry no sharing.

The guy that stretches for us personally has a few tricks as well. One of them is staging up to desired tension then he places a ton of weight on the screen comes back in an hour or so removes the weights and retensions to a bit more than desired and then glues. He says that the weights act like hardening the mesh, except doing it with a squeegee over a period of time he does it with the weights. I can tell you our screens from him are dynamite and stabilize in the mid 20's.
"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Hey I said no sharing! :)
We also have a grinding system which removes the old glue.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »
If someone had the time and will, they could produce some damn fine statics like Mike is getting.  The problem is lack of knowledge from a lot of the people buying the screens.  Back when I was buying statics, I didn't give a damn about tension because I didn't know anything about it.  If customers don't demand a better product then suppliers will give them just enough to keep them coming back.  If you can get statics, especially thin thread mesh to work harden in the mid 20's, you'd be doing some damn fine work and doing it fast.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.