Author Topic: printing swatch card  (Read 1258 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
printing swatch card
« on: July 29, 2024, 05:28:37 PM »
Has anyone printed their color swatches in illustrator? We are doing more digital prints these days. I think having an actual color pallet would be super helpful.
Thanks.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: printing swatch card
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 09:25:45 PM »
yup... One by one, make a square fill it with a color, label it with the PMS # and repeat.... I made mine it into a poster. Every printer, ink system and RIP will print differently. I have two rips for the same DTF printer, colors aren't even close so lot's of trial and error... I wish there was a way to make a chart and fill it with every color in your design pallet.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 09:22:05 AM »
yup... One by one, make a square fill it with a color, label it with the PMS # and repeat.... I made mine it into a poster. Every printer, ink system and RIP will print differently. I have two rips for the same DTF printer, colors aren't even close so lot's of trial and error... I wish there was a way to make a chart and fill it with every color in your design pallet.

There's a macro for Corel that does this.  It's pretty freaking sweet.  we did it years ago for the Brother DTG and it was really handy to have up.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 10:57:35 AM »
I found this script. It only does 1 color at time but it puts all the info in the square. It looks pretty good. It is just a lot of work.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2024, 12:10:18 PM »

There's a macro for Corel that does this.  It's pretty freaking sweet.  we did it years ago for the Brother DTG and it was really handy to have up.

What the... :o.....dude.....color me six shades of stupid, I found it, that's amazing. It uses the color pallet from your design board. that's exactly what I needed, thanks
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2024, 12:53:05 PM »

What the... :o.....dude.....color me six shades of stupid, I found it, that's amazing. It uses the color pallet from your design board. that's exactly what I needed, thanks

What can I say except you're welcome!!

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2024, 04:16:19 PM »
I saw that script a few years ago and used it for a bit. I thought it needed improvement so I wrote this one some time ago. It wasn't very legible on the screens for us. Not what you're trying to do but i think some will find it to be useful. It places the file name, placement and pms colors from ai at the top in registration color + the pantone color. Make sure you have your art grouped and file named before running. If you use with with the other reg mark script you're golden. The dashed line at the top is in process color so it wont output. Its so that our other scripts work and auto place the art on our cts template. If you dont need that you can open up the file in visual studio code and edit it out pretty easily. All of the steps are labeled so you know whats what.

Anyone else have some gnarly scripts to share? Ive been trying to automate as much as we can around here. The data is all there... it just has to be moved & used correctly.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2024, 04:26:27 PM »
Ive been trying to write a script that does the same for linked PSD's and DCS2 files in photoshop but ran into some walls. If anyone wants to take a swing at that PM me and i'll send you what ive got on it. I hit up Steve from ultraseps but he didn't seem interested haha. This is kind of niche.. but i think it would be a nice to have. You always need color labels, reg marks, file name and placement. why not have it scripted?