Author Topic: Reusing frames.  (Read 958 times)

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
Reusing frames.
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »
So, I'm out of frames. I just used the last of my new ones the other day, but I still need to stretch more screens. I'm currently trying to restock our screen supply,  most of them have just about had it.

I asked to order some new frames, but was told to try and use the old frames first. I'm having a lot of trouble getting them clean enough to put new mesh on them. Is there any trick to getting that adhesive and mesh off? Or should I even be doing it? Products? Tips? Arguing points? Etc?

These are static frames, btw.

--Mattie T
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:12:50 PM by Mattie T »

Offline cvreeland

Re: Reusing frames.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
An electric orbit sander with maybe 100-grit sandpaper should do the trick.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline Mattie T

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
I actually considered sanding, but I didn't know if it was safe or not. I was a bit worried about sanding down the rough side of the frame and making it harder for the screen to hold, but I will give that a shot.

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
So long as you stick with relatively coarse sandpaper, it'll still have some tooth.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »
At Xenon we do not use any type of invasive removal procedure.  When we prep the screen frame we do not do anything that would take away material from the frame.  We also work the mesh in such a way as to duplicate what mesh goes through with retens.  We are very price conservative.  I would love to quote you on new as well as re-meshes.
Sonny
404-895-1796
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald