Author Topic: damn laptop crashed help please  (Read 1321 times)

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
damn laptop crashed help please
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:26:43 AM »
Hi guys,
my home lap top was working just fine mid day yesterday humming along as usual. In fact i think I left it on a radio station when I went back to the shop.
When i got home the computer was in a stratup loop would try to boot up the Acer window would come up and then start all over again?

got so pi$$ed off that I threw in the recovery discs first disk fired up gave me options of recovery that could not be selected????? the only move I could make was to exit. Guessing my hard drive is toast any thoughts suggestions? Yes I will call ACER today but just wanted some unrelated thoughts.
Respectfully
mooseman

Computer is an a Acer Notebook PC 9 months old
PEW71
Aspire 5733;Aspire 57332; Aspire 5333
Aspire 5733xxxxxx, Aspire 5333xxxxxx
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Chadwick

Re: damn laptop crashed help please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:03 AM »
When the Acer boot screen comes up, try to enter your setup ( bios ).
Almost every manufacturer uses a different key, DEL, F10, F5, etc...it should say on the screen, or you can find it in your manual.
Be careful in there, and DON'T change anything if you're not familiar with a bios,
but look to see if your hard drive is listed on the devices.

If it isn't, you may have something simple like a bad connection between HD and motherboard.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:09:41 AM by Chadwick »

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »
Hey Chadwick,
thanks for the come back.
Set up is F2 key on Acre window ...doesn't work >:(
screwing around I got this message
PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE

Damn computers !
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
Looking around the net a bit, I see sometimes Acer has required 2 keys to be pressed...(?)
You'll have to look in your manual I guess. If you haven't got one, go on Acer's site.
Usually mfg's provide a PDF download.

That error sounds like what I'm thinking, but I don't know what sort of startup sequence your laptop uses.

Same old, same old..I can usually fix em if sitting in front of it, but..

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
If you get brave and open the machine up, make sure you remove the battery first!
( very important )
I'm off to the shop.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
Also hitting the required set up key is time sensitive, its best to start spamming the key as soon as your hard drive spins up if you make it to the welcome screen (or the windows logo screen) your already past the point of getting in to the bios. Chad is right tho it really sounds like your HD is not there, wether disconnected some how or fried who knows. The bios would be able to tell you if it is detected or not.
"No man is an island"

Offline dave58

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
My wifes mom bought her and ACER last year (Walmrt)....died 6 months later....sent it in for repair......after we finally got it back it lasted 2 weeks.......had my computer guy look at it which cost me a buck and a half......lasted one more month......so i put a hammer to it.,,,and bought her another brand.....now no issues.....other than my mother in law is pissed off at me :)

forget ACER......
Down with Anarchy

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
hey thanks all looks like my goose or better yet moose is cooked.
I thinking like Dave58 it may be hammer time and my mother in law is way beyond caring.
mooseman

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
I don't care much for acer stuff either,  but what can ya do.
Before you grab the hammer, pull the battery, ground yourself,
open the back up, pull the hd out and then plug it back in.
Laptops get bumped around alot, things can get loose.
Cheers.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Cheers.

I've had it happen even on a desktop.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »
Acer isn't a bad budget computer.  Top choice is Toshiba Tecra series (business class), but if you are looking to save some money Acer can do that.

That PXE error is just it failing to boot of the network card, you would never do this anyway.  "cable disconnected" means you aren't plugged into a network via cable, simple as that.  Plugging it in won't help because you don't have a server on the network that it would find to boot from... basically just ignore that error.

It's incredibly hard to trouble shoot a non-booting error over the phone.  There are discs/utilities you can download to check to see if your HD is still working but we are getting into a bit of geek world now.  You SHOULD be able to get into that setup and if not, you may be f'd.  It's possible that RAM or HD is causing it not to boot properly and pulling those may give more information... again, getting into geek world there.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
Cheers.

thanks Chadwick,
been there done that printed my self a shirt ;D looks like the HD is toast, $50.00 from new egg.com we start over.
mooseman

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »
That ain't so bad.
Cheers.
 :)

Offline LDTRONIX

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:48 PM »
Did you eject all CD/dvd's, and all usb drives......?
They called the inventor of AC electricity (TESLA) names, even fried dogs in the street to prove AC was bad.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »
Yup, dumped everything and even tried to use re-install disc but no luck just goes into a continual startup loop , trips out then starts all over again.
The only saving grace is this is my home / internet computer no business stuff there just fun & BS stuff.
mooseman