Author Topic: Favorite M&R Style Squeegees and Floods?  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Favorite M&R Style Squeegees and Floods?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »
Action,

Since your making changes, make all the nuts and bolts on the floods stainless. Since I have been doing waterbase all mine have rusted. Its not a big problem but the more they rust the more chance it will be. I will be switching them out soon.

I like the new design but that two bend angle will need some serious care and then quality control to make sure that both sides are level to the screen surface. If they are not QCed the floods will be hard to use, especially for the guys that hard flood.

I have a few designs that I am going to tinker with this year. One of them is going to be very easy to make and will most likely cost me all of $5.

Hi Jon:

Thank you for offering your advice. We switched all of our fasteners to stainless a few years ago. The ones you have must be older than that. The acorn nuts also are nickle plated and should hold up ok.
I do agree that there are QC concerns with the multiple angles.

Mine are about 2 years old. They only rusted when I started to clean them in the washout booth. Other wise they are my go to floods. As for the angle I think 30 is about right. Anything is better than flat.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Good point on the angle.  M&R states theirs is 10˚ angle.  I have one of each on their way and will check 'em out.

I know it's good to have standard floods on hand for various reasons and no, I probably wouldn't run wings on screens where I was doing a hard fill and printing plastisol.

Ink traps sound great, best of both, though I'm not clear on where they attach to the holder and $106.10 per?!  They better work miracles at $212.20 per head. 

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:39:28 PM »
I think we paid $90 for the last set (one left, one right) we purchased, $45 each. The traps have a tab that goes between the squeegee holder and the squeegee before you clamp it in place. I like them because they can be used with any of your setup, short or long squeegees and even fit a double squeegee and not affected by squeegee or flood angle. We use them with the plastisol and discharge. Sometimes I don't even tape the screens we are using the traps on. They do need to be kept clean and moving free and make sure there is not tape for them to grab, could rip a screen.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
We don't have ours YET, but the M&R qwik clamp is the best thing since sliced bread..... I'm not sure about everyone else but regardless of who's squeegee carrier we try, the blade gets warped as soon as we tighten the bolts to clamp the blade. In turn we have to sharpen every squeegee prior to using just so the face is flat all the way across the squeegee. The new qwik clamp does not distort the squeegee at all and applies even pressure across the entire blade. We played with the unit in Long Beach and from what I've seen this setup it will certainly give us a more quality blade along with the ease of switching blades.  I'm a big supporter of Action as well, and the products they make. Everything we've ever got from them was great quality, same angles, etc. If we were not going to the qwik clamp I would use the Action Squeegee carrier as I like those the best for a standard carrier. For flood bars my guys and I tend to like the std. M&R non wing style. If we have big runs we will use the wing floodbars but I tend to dislike taking them off and on the press, as well as cleaning them. We tested the ink traps from M&R and they work great but keeping them clean, along with putting them on/taking them off gets to be a bit of a pain as well.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Good point on the angle.  M&R states theirs is 10˚ angle.  I have one of each on their way and will check 'em out.

I know it's good to have standard floods on hand for various reasons and no, I probably wouldn't run wings on screens where I was doing a hard fill and printing plastisol.

Ink traps sound great, best of both, though I'm not clear on where they attach to the holder and $106.10 per?!  They better work miracles at $212.20 per head.
your pricing on the ink traps is way off. E mail me if you want the correct info.
Rich Hoffman

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
I think the qwik clamp is awesome but I'd rather invest the 1k for that clamping unit in many other things first.  If there was a more cost effective device to use the system with I'd be ordering a set of those.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »

your pricing on the ink traps is way off. E mail me if you want the correct info.

Got it here:
https://store.mrprint.com/mr_pls/oos_items_pkg.item_details?p_item_no_c=9711301&p_search_mode_c=ITEMS&p_search_string_c=ink%20trap&p_page_id_i=1&p_page_size_i=10&p_sort_mode_c=ITEM%3ADESCRIPTION&p_page_view_c=LIST

Email sent!

Offline cvreeland

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
What does it really matter if the sides of the screens fill up with ink? I found that it's easier to just give in & let it all flow out there than to mess with scooping ink back, or the snap-on wings, or winged flood bars. I have a couple older Action ones, & we just got tired of having to always set the angle exact for them & to clean the ink out of the grooves. It was more work than the extra minute it took a helper to scoop the accumulated ink back into the can at the end of the run.

Not that I don't like most of Action's stuff -- I do! The zipper-hoodie pallets are a lifesaver, but the winged floods didn't float my boat.
Owner, writer Art Wear - a screen printing blog