Author Topic: Looking to Upgrade my press On somewhat of a budget. Tips/Pointers/Feedback.  (Read 4254 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Wow.  Eff that noise, that's a terrible design.  I would use something like action's M&R adapters, or devise your own system, and mount straight to the arm.  You need to make sure you can bring the plane of your screens down to that level but it would solve a lot of problems if you can.

If you are in Chicago, finding a good used press should be easy.  This dude, can't remember his name has a nice machine in your budget right now.

Offline galatieatthis

• Verified/Junior
I've been in contact with him, He's runs the "Screen Printers Exchange"
I just feel like that press is of similar to what I have, I love the idea of side claps.
It'd be nice to have them, But I also want Micro's.
& i feel like I can do a little better, even if It means saving a little more.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I have a vastex v2000hd with numbering attachment that I've been trying to sell.  It's a 4/4 with 4 adult pallets, one youth pallet and one sleeve pallet.  Unfortunately it's just a tad out of your budget but the reason I can't just give it away is because I know how little it's been used over the last 4 years and it's simply in pristine condition.  I know that it's been used less than a dozen times for regular jobs, only one multicolored job has been on it, and we've done about 10 numbering jobs/year on it since we bought it new.  So it's been used a little over 50 times and we take care of our stuff around our shop.  I've refurbed the palled rubber on it since the original rubber was not applied correctly nor was it of an acceptable quality for me so I put some better tops on the pallets.  I actually printed one shirt on it yesterday, I had to put the number 33 on the back of a jersey for a friend.  It has 3 HD arms on it and one SUPER HD to hold the numbering attachment.  All of the lift cylinders are strong and it holds 23x31 M3 roller frames with ease, but 18x20 frames with square bars work perfectly for this press.

I'd let it go for $3K with the numbering attachment.  The ability to do numbers could open up a broader customer base and make you money as long as you charge for it.  I prefer not to print numbers since we're so busy but when we weren't slammed we had time to print them, now we use screen printed transfers for our numbering needs, which has it's pro's and cons as well.  I don't want to sell it without it because I'd be stuck with a numbering attachment for the next few years until I found someone who wanted one.  The numbering attachment cost us about 1500 new plus the screen was a few hundred bucks on top of that.  I've still got all of the original receipts, manuals, every piece of paper that came with the press.  I would consider throwing the flash unit in on the deal but I'd have to have one to replace it since we do use the sidewinder every once in a while for small print/flash/print jobs.

I've had the press for sale for a year now, but I have done a very half-assed job of trying to sell it since we aren't in a real need to get rid of it and I haven't let it go to the low-ball offers you have to deal with when selling screen printing equipment.  With everything we bought from Vastex, I think we had over 7K invested in this equipment and it barely got used since we print most everything on the auto. 

I know Chicago is a long drive from Austin, and I've got a family that I like to spend time with on the weekends when I'm not working, but I would consider driving 5-6 hours north and load it on to your transportation if that would help get the deal done.  I think it would ship on two pallets and it wouldn't be too hard to palletize this for proper delivery but we're talking another $500 do get that done and to Chicago.  Email me at alan@srimonogramming.com if this is something you would consider.  It's got many years left and millions of impressions before this press needs to be retired, and you can upgrade it to a 6 color whenever you're ready.

To offer some advice on buying a good manual so as to not totally hijack the thread, there are 4 manual presses that I would consider buying used, the vastex v2hd, M&R sidewinder, Antex Legend or an American Rototex.  Now I'm sure there are a few more brands that would work great but those 4 I mentioned are no-brainers and there is nobody that would argue that those are not in the top 5 of manuals available today.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
I've been in contact with him, He's runs the "Screen Printers Exchange"
I just feel like that press is of similar to what I have, I love the idea of side claps.
It'd be nice to have them, But I also want Micro's.
& i feel like I can do a little better, even if It means saving a little more.

yes micros are a good invesment in a manual press but not all micros are created equal
i would dig a little more on the subject before buying

Offline galatieatthis

• Verified/Junior
Thank you all for the feedback, It's greatly appreciated.

I'm researching much more, All the while saving & expanding my budget.

Alan(I believe that's your name)
That offer is great, & Honestly within my reach, I sent you an email earlier this morning.
I would love to work something out & make it happen.
So get back to me via email when you can.

Aside from that.
Thanks everyone.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Alan is really giving you a deal with that Vastex!

Offline galatieatthis

• Verified/Junior
I know, & I'm hoping I can make it happen.

It would be pretty awesome for me.

Offline easyrider1340

I've been happy with my V1000.   ....but I was moving from a Ryonet Blue Press with magnets.   

Micros work good.   No real complaints.

Offline galatieatthis

• Verified/Junior
I've been happy with my V1000.   ....but I was moving from a Ryonet Blue Press with magnets.   

Micros work good.   No real complaints.

A bit to late with this input/review on the press.
but it doesn't so much matter.

I searched & searched for reviews & I searched for used presses & options.
Eventually I took the risk & said, why not.
I ordered the V-1000 Six color 4 station. & an oversized 18x18 flash as well.
it got here in boxes on wed.
Put her together, Leveled out the pallets & was good to go.

Printed my first job with it today (a TINY run) & i was really happy with it.
It's nice & clean, super pretty. & I'm excited about it.