Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 560455 times)

Offline Nick Bane

Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #480 on: August 21, 2012, 12:21:43 AM »
Mind if i jump in here...

Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #481 on: August 21, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Ha, me like that!!!!!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #482 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:15 AM »
Thanks.  those always make quality control fun haha. 8)
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #483 on: August 21, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
Is the girl one screen or did you use a couple of them on her? Nice print by the way!
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #484 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
Thanks.  Its a 5 color, black and a cool grey 7 i think in the girl, then theres yellow, red and an orangish brown color.

grey on 305
brown on 305
yellow on 305
red on 230
black on 255

no flash, all wow.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
Hmmmmm wish there wasnt quite so much shadow under that tray ;D
"No man is an island"

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
  • putting pixels to work since 1984
« Reply #486 on: August 21, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
latest index print from production. the pic isn't that good, the print looks better in person. It came out a bit grainy, registration seems to be slightly off on a couple colors (gray, red and pink) but it's not too bad. I don't think they color matched the yellow to the pantone i specified, it's a bit too bright (looks like lemon yellow, should be Pantone 106c) and really changed the flesh tones).

11 color print, index+halftones, wet on wet
image resolution was 180ppi
55lpi halftones@21degrees

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
Well played.......nice print. I would have upped it to 65 and 355 mesh but most people won't care. Also these types of images print cleaner (less grainy) in discharge but thats only if you've got the guts to try and the run length to justify. Thats a bunch of colors to make.

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
thanks Tonypep! the halftones are mostly just in the underbase (and the fade out to ground), my printers would kill me if i asked him to use underbase white on a 300+ mesh. I could improve the print detail by using 200ppi instead of 180ppi and that's probably what i should have done. next photoprint with this license i'll make sure to try 200ppi

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
@ toneypep you just did what all us printers do bad mouth our prints (I know this print is not yours), but still we do and the end user loves it just like it is.  Question do we need to try to be that perfect or what, yes I understand that the most of us really like to nail our prints for our own satisfaction, and to better our craft, anyway I think I might have answered my own question LOL.
by the way I really think thats a nice print, I wouldn't know the colors were off unless you told me anyway.

Darryl

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
thanks Darryl! i actually like critiquing prints and seeing how it could be improved, i take all input as constructive criticism (unless it's obviously an attack). often there's limitations (printers machines, skill level, ect..). I have a big challenge where i work, we deal with major licensors and retail outlets, each have their own approval checklist, it can be a nightmare trying to achieve what they expect. (they often expect screen printing to be the same image quality/clarity as sublimation or heat transfers)

using discharge would be ideal, unfortunately it puts the production at a higher cost which is another issue.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Again real nice job. If it wasn't royal you could probably DC just the underbase so the inks aren't sitting on plastic but I am over analyzing. When I see quality at this level I immediately think about how I would do it. Theres never just one way!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #492 on: August 21, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
I can see it being a nightmare trying to do realistic photos on T-shirts, but from the prints I seen Tonypep and you and few others post here post you guys know your jobs.  I like to look at Tees in stores and compare allso, Walmart being one and yes some of those prints are bullet proof, but hey like I said the end user loves them.

Darryl

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #493 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »
Nice one PixelPimp.

What part of it is index and what is traditional halftone?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #494 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
thanks Dan!
i used a halftoned underbase and i created a mix of index and halftone for the main separation. The halftones are only used for the fade to ground in the main separation. (i don't think i've used this method with 200ppi, only 180ppi). I do have another print where the entire index was then halftoned to produce a washed out look (not vintage but more like sublimation on a 50/50 garment). if you're interested i can post that one (some interesting issues with that approach).