Author Topic: Removing station arms on a Gauntlet S  (Read 2274 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Removing station arms on a Gauntlet S
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:29:07 PM »
Moving a 6/8 '92 Gauntlet S either this afternoon or Monday and, wouldn't you know it, my overhead door is only 8' wide.

My thinking is I can pull the load/unload stations off and slip it through.  Anyone dealt with this?  Homer maybe, I think you mentioned knocking some wall out.  I'd hate to do that but also know that pulling arms = re-registering. 

thx in advance.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Removing station arms on a Gauntlet S
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 05:10:46 PM »
Moving a 6/8 '92 Gauntlet S either this afternoon or Monday and, wouldn't you know it, my overhead door is only 8' wide.

My thinking is I can pull the load/unload stations off and slip it through.  Anyone dealt with this?  Homer maybe, I think you mentioned knocking some wall out.  I'd hate to do that but also know that pulling arms = re-registering. 

thx in advance.

Pulling the arms should not mess with the registration. I know sounds wrong. The registration on all pressed are determained by the pin or fork and the pin hole and forkhole? (that sounds dirty) You just have to make sure you put the head back inline with the pallet when you put it back on. (talk to a M&R guy for that step)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
Yep, copy that.  I think the reg bearings are on the arms on the older Gauntlets, we'll see when I get in there to prep it, can't remember off hand.  I might get lucky and, upon remounting the arms be able to tweak those two stations back into reg without re-doing the whole press but I'm not counting on it. 

Still beats ripping the man door out.   Can't believe I thought my o/h door was 10' and it's 8'.

forkhole....

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
Yep, copy that.  I think the reg bearings are on the arms on the older Gauntlets, we'll see when I get in there to prep it, can't remember off hand.  I might get lucky and, upon remounting the arms be able to tweak those two stations back into reg without re-doing the whole press but I'm not counting on it. 

Still beats ripping the man door out.   Can't believe I thought my o/h door was 10' and it's 8'.

forkhole....

Did you just call me a Forkhole?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
Maybe you can jenga your way in. IE spin the table as you are going in/shifting left or right.
I'm sure you've moved a chair or something that didn't completely fit through a man door?

I'm sure the Hoffman will know if your bearings are on the arms or not.

If you move one, your forked on all.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
That's the going plan- marmalade it through the 8' door by spinning the table.   Might work. 

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:28 PM »
you'll be fine through an 8' door. I had 36" to work in and the base wouldn't fit through. If you do remove an arm -you need the press reregistered by the wonderful folks from M&R.....do not attempt/think about/toss the idea around/investigate or even concider doing it yourself....I watched Nereo from M&R do it. that's why they make the big bucks....

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »

thx in advance.

Pulling the arms should not mess with the registration. I know sounds wrong. The registration on all pressed are determained by the pin or fork and the pin hole and forkhole? (that sounds dirty) You just have to make sure you put the head back inline with the pallet when you put it back on. (talk to a M&R guy for that step)

Sorry Jon.... ;D

Do not do this. If you remove the arms you will need to split them again and reregister. There is no way around it. Moving the arm moves the bearing that goes back up into the fork. You would have to put it back in the exact same spot if you moved it and that would be almost impossible. You are only talking a couple thousandths to throw it out of reg.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:36:41 PM by JBLUE »
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
IMO any time you move a press the reg should be checked anyway.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »

thx in advance.

Sorry Jon.... ;D

Do not do this. If you remove the arms you will need to split them again and reregister. There is no way around it. Moving the arm moves the bearing that goes back up into the fork. You would have to put it back in the exact same spot if you moved it and that would be almost impossible. You are only talking a couple thousandths to throw it out of reg.

and to elaborate on that, loosening one bolt throws it out that much. you might as well take them all off, and the ring too, it wouldn't really won't matter since you have to have the press registered just from moving it, atleast leveled out...I would highly suggest to put new reg forks and bearings in at the same time (if they are old)...nows the time to get it done.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »
I have moved and installed hundreds of the little pressses over the years, with 3 presses installed
this last month. You will need to at a minimum, remove a few pallet arms to have clearance through
the door. You WILL have to reregister ALL of the arms to a minimum plus or minus two thousands of
an inch, with that being about a strand of your hair or so (if you have clean hair). If you have to move
the press more than a little distance(within town) , I suggest you remove all the print heads as well.
It WILL save you grief! During this process, it is a good time to CLEAN and INSPECT the press for optimum operating condition. DO NOT ASSUME that if the press was running in the "other" shop that
all of the settings were correct. They may or may not have been. But all in all this will be a good next step for your shop. These are great little presses. Have fun!
winston
(904)3430848

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

thx in advance.

Sorry Jon.... ;D

and to elaborate on that, loosening one bolt throws it out that much. you might as well take them all off, and the ring too, it wouldn't really won't matter since you have to have the press registered just from moving it, atleast leveled out...I would highly suggest to put new reg forks and bearings in at the same time (if they are old)...nows the time to get it done.

Homer is right. Replace them now while its down. Fix everything you can afford now or it will cost you ten times that later. Bearings and forks at a minimum. That machine will run forever if taken care of properly.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
well I knew if I was wrong someone would jump in right ways. I would never want to mislead anyone. I guess back in 1992 they did things a little different. I wasn't even in high school then. Zoo if you have to put all that money into registering the press and moving it and who knows what else, make sure this is the press you want.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »
After measuring, it will fit. Just have to flip the heads up and get creative. Press had had regular maintainence and is, by all appearances cherry after I get the lint off. Short move and I'll test the reg to assure it made the trip ok. It'll be tight though.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
The one time I moved a press like this we got a tech up for a half day to zero it out.  We were pretty lucky, with hand tools and a tape measure to evenly space the arms, we could run one colors, even PFP with good registration, but were upwards of a couple hundredths off on the bearings, so multi colors were out till we got a tech to come by.

I don't think you'll have any issues you can't square away with a little elbow grease, especially if it's in the great shape it appears to be in.  Congrats.