Author Topic: Your best decisions and systems  (Read 4331 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Your best decisions and systems
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:33 AM »
I like the idea of a nonconformity list, buy it may be hard because I am so perfect...  ;)  Seriously thought, I like this and think we will put this up today.

I am hearing and have been hearing a lot about screen tension, think I will actually make a conscious decision to pay more attention to this. Sucks because I just brought in a bunch more statics, but I may give it a go with those. We have 50 or so Newmans, but I never really "got into them". I'm guessing that is because I knew tension was important, but it was moved to the back of my mind and figured we are doing OK now, why add another thing to the list!
Consider my list 1 longer now ;) I want to try to play around with our stretcher a bit more to see if I can get some better tensions on our static ones before spending a boat load on a bunch more Newmans!

Great ideas guys, keep them coming! This could probably be helpful for all!

Another big change we made that seems to make a world of difference, was we changed from 300W warehouse type lights to all T8 double double 4ft.  (2 bulbs wide, 2 bulbs long so they end up being 8')lights. Make sure you use the 32W full spectrum 6500K bulbs. Makes a WORLD of difference with light quality, and oddly enough morale also(probably has to do with our sunny warm and inviting summers we have in Minnesota).
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:19 PM »
Lots of stuff already covered here. Our newest "no duh" moment has been a post-exposure
dip tank. Just water.

Not only is development easier and more consistent, it actually speeds things along. No more
standing around watering screens.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »
We created a job packet system that includes a full color proof with production notes form on the back that is completed by the printer. It lists mesh count, print order, ink colors(Pantone#s or bucket name) and type (DC, plastisol, etc.), along with check boxes for what color(s) were flashed, batched, etc. for each location. Production notes can then be referenced for reorders so they are printed exact. The packet also includes the invoice and all the films. The packet follows the order from garment arrival, screen making, production and shipping.

Developing dip tank (after exposure) of water. Makes wash out a breeze.

We also just switched our reclaim dip tank to Easi-Strip. It allows us to remove ink and emulsion at the same time. Prior we were removing the ink then using the dip tank. It removes a step in our reclaim process. We've only had it a few days but it seems to remove more thoroughly than what we had in it before (CCI ER-80). Could just be that fresh tank magic though.  ;)
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
We created a job packet system that includes a full color proof with production notes form on the back that is completed by the printer. It lists mesh count, print order, ink colors(Pantone#s or bucket name) and type (DC, plastisol, etc.), along with check boxes for what color(s) were flashed, batched, etc. for each location. Production notes can then be referenced for reorders so they are printed exact. The packet also includes the invoice and all the films. The packet follows the order from garment arrival, screen making, production and shipping.

Developing dip tank (after exposure) of water. Makes wash out a breeze.

We also just switched our reclaim dip tank to Easi-Strip. It allows us to remove ink and emulsion at the same time. Prior we were removing the ink then using the dip tank. It removes a step in our reclaim process. We've only had it a few days but it seems to remove more thoroughly than what we had in it before (CCI ER-80). Could just be that fresh tank magic though.  ;)

We've always had issues with easi-strip removing ink and stencils. I've always found that it took way more work to do this, then to have the ink removal step, then the stencil removal step. anyone else have this issue?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
We had Frank come in and gives us the run through. We paired it with the 701 and besides applying that with a scrub brush, we eliminated any rough scrubbing for getting out haze stains and emulsion speckles. So far, we really like it.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
Card the ink out at the press and right in the dip tank filled with CCI Micro Wash II mixed 1:10. Always top off the tank with same ratio. Into the wash out booth, power wash and scrub with Bob's degreaser/hase remover. Power wash both sides, flood rinse and into the racks to dry. No stains or hase, some screens are 3 years or more old and just as clean as a new one.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 03:03:07 AM »
Upping our minimum has been one of the best things we've ever done.  The jobs under 2 doz were taking up insane amounts of time for not much revenue and, honestly, were risky in a variety of ways. Screen printing is just not appropriate for very short runs.  DTG certainly is but I don't think I'd like to serve that clientele with either method, no offense. 

Plain water dip tank + pressure washer on fan spray for reclaim is a must do.  You will definitely wonder what the hell you were doing standing there whistling dixie while running a hose on screens for 10 minutes. Not all emulsions hold up to this well, fyi.

Like eric, I've never seen the one step stuff work in one step.  You have to pressure wash for longer and then scrub a lot more on the dehaze step if you skip de-inking.   Just my experience.  Binkspot's screen flow sounds great and I would love to simplify to something like that.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »
Proceduralize everything you do. We've had signs up all over the shop. Mesh count selection guidelines, How to reclaim screens, How to coat, How to calculate formulas and mix inks, What to do when there's nothing to do, How to get an approval and so on. Also in many shops we'll put together job descriptions and have the new hires read and sign them. Not necessary for the one man show operations of course but when you get to a certain point you'll find this helpful. Often bad habits trickle down through employees and all of the sudden they're doing  things backwards.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
When making changes or "fixing" something make a list and do one thing at a time, don't try and change a bunch of stuff at once. If several changes are made at the same time if something does not work you will waste time and resources trying figure out which one back fired. There are many wasted hours and money chasing a problem you created trying to jump ahead. Pick one thing like screen tension get that where you want then move onto the next. Sometimes you may find by correcting one thing it may unknowingly fix something else down the line.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
I'm with Tony on this, but we use a lot of photos, also. A few examples, as simple as they may seem......How I want the squeegees and floods on the storage rack (a photo of "right way" and "wrong way"), how to put protection tape on screens when new ones are made, and marking with mesh, thread diameter and tension. Correct way to put a screen in the coating machine.  The things that are so simple and mundane for me can be like another culture for a new or temporary employee. Photos make it ALMOST idiot proof. 
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:13 AM »
Photos are a great idea! I have always had instructions posted in English and Spanish. But my Spanish has definitely gotten rusty over the years, I am reverting back to gringo status!

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
So many of your signs could start a new site called Spenglish. ;)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
Something like this Dave? It aint pretty but everything has a home. Note the Pantone formulas on the bucket

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
Ooops

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
I'm sure it's something like the picture I can't see. We're like you there too. We print out a label and it goes on the ink container. Since we mix all but three colors, I have to know that anyone can accurately reproduce what we had last time. We use the Wilflex IMS System with an integrated scale and label printer. Not as clean, and organized as yours Tony, but that's on my list.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA