Author Topic: Big Bonehead mistake  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: Big Bonehead mistake
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
..Love this thread!

...early in my career ('93-94ish), I was in charge of all pre-press for a 2-auto contract shop. We were running a long job with these extremely oversize sleep tees, with a HUUUGE underbase. Goin thru abut a 5gal an hour. I spent the day putting 5ers on the Turnabout to work the ink a bit before taking them to press. Well at the end of the day, I forgot I had one spinning on there, and it spun all night. Eventually the ink heated, gelled, and forced the blade into the inside surface of the bucket...and chewed all the way thru it. Five gallons of white ink and bits of chewed plastic completey submerging the ink mixer the next morning. THAT was a fun cleanup.

...About three weeks after starting Mr Tees full-time and moving into my new building (brand new, first tenant), I pulled into my drive way and saw water seeping out from UNDER THE BAY DOOR. I had just installed and setup the washout area the night before, and forgot to shut off the water supply. The flood-rinse hose had fallen to the floor and landed on the handle. Sprayed into the air for what I assumed was all night. Flooded the whole building, which thankfully was still mostly empty. Bubbled up my freshly painted floor. Actually, my brand new, shiny Diamondback was in the building, but was still crated and raised above the flood line. Guess I needed a shop-vac around here anyway.
...The landlord never found out, which was a big surprise considering that the water bill was included in the rent.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:02:37 AM by Mr Tees!! »
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:21 AM »
Today!

Changing out to sleeve pallets on the Sportsman, indexing with the heads off while I clamped the pallets in place. Caught the control cable on the Tacana flash in head #2. Didn't notice till it spun around through the carousel and under the indexing bits once or twice and ripped the cable off the flash.

Luckily it wasn't the power cable...

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Admiral

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
Today!

Changing out to sleeve pallets on the Sportsman, indexing with the heads off while I clamped the pallets in place. Caught the control cable on the Tacana flash in head #2. Didn't notice till it spun around through the carousel and under the indexing bits once or twice and ripped the cable off the flash.

Luckily it wasn't the power cable...

I don't have the luxury of our quartz flash plugging in, (2010 model) but why was that cable anywhere near platens indexing? I like the presses where the flashes plug in on the top of the print head and the electrical is out of the way as well...