Author Topic: 4800 problem, need some help  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 4800 problem, need some help
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Update: let it sit all night on a Simple Green soaked pad, came in this morning, and there was plenty of black ink in it. Did a nozzle check, spotty at best, but better than nothing at all, did a head clean, then basically nothing. Pierre, the green tab is out all the way to the left, like the arrow shows, thanks. John, I don't seem to have the paired cleanings option, but I'll go through the menus again. Then I guess it's into checking out the lines... man this sucks, but I'm not going to complain too much; there are folks with real problems out there...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
did you get my PM with the 4 power cleaning modes? Im doing a KK1 at the moment, clean them babies out. also, was it you guys using the hybrid inks? I was using those and man, they just plug up way too fast. i'm going to straight dye. after two days of sitting, my heads were plugged.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
We got a lot out of our 4800 but when the head started giving us issues like you're seeing, no amount of head cleaning, power cleaning, creative soaking, crazy strong chemicals and taking the machine apart 10 times or more could bring that print head back to life.  It is still sitting under a table waiting on the day we can put a new print head in it.  I hope there is still hope with yours but I also wouldn't be surprised if the print head was just done and needed replaced.  I could not believe with all the work we did on our print head that it didn't clear it up at all.  And finding a 4800 head isn't as easy at used to be.  They're out there still but not as readily available as they used to be.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »
I did, Homer, and have done a SSCL (Super sonic cleaning) which came from the Conde site. Still getting nowhere. This morning, I noticed an "Auto" button in the printer utility, which would do a nozzle check, then clean if necessary. It did a couple of cycles like that, then gave me a "nozzle still clogged" message on the printer's display.

Steve

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
I had a similar issue with my pigment CIS that I needed to blow out the lines.

I think Homer's on to something there--the hybrid ink has pigment too, doesn't it?  Maybe there's pigment clogging the lines.
I almost hate to ask, but If the nozzles aren't getting ink, isn't cleaning over and over going to burn them out?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
That has occurred to me in the back of my mind, I've stopped for now. Homer sent me some links to the service manuals; now I just need time to do that as I actually have real work to do too...

Steve

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »
You are using a "hybrid" ink?  I've only ever use dye ink from filmdirect so I might not be any help on that.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »
I use dye based ink only. I just read something pretty cool though, especially for the other owners of the 4800; the print head is a DX5, and they are going for well over a thousand dollars, but, the same head is in a R1900, which can be had for much much less... buy one and pull out the head, yes?

Steve

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
Good to know.  Changing out a head is a little tedious but not bad for anyone with some patience and a light touch. Good time to swap out dampers too.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 03:47:16 PM »
i'd buy a new printer for 500.00....these 48 /4900 are all over ebay...if my issues don't resolve soon, that's my route.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 04:12:32 PM »
that may be it, I just missed one for 650 in the town next door, gone from craigslist, damn...

Steve