Author Topic: I remember my first CMYK..  (Read 2958 times)

Offline NoDirectionNick

• Verified/Junior
I remember my first CMYK..
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
Literally though, this is my 1st attempt at CMYK. Did all the sep's myself. I did reach out to DotToneDan originally, but I figured I'd give it a shot on my own. Any suggestions or criticisms are welcome - go easy on me, I'm new to this. I know that Dan had mentioned doing a white UB would help blend the dots better - I did not do that. But will end up doing next time.

Also want to say that I've learned a LOT on this board. Much thanks to you guys. I don't say much on here - I just soak it all in.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:59:49 PM by Dottonedan »

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: I remember my first CMYK..
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
Your problem Nick, is that you have no direction.

You did good though. Glad the board could help.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:36:59 PM »
You did good brother!

Next happy hour is on you  ;D
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
Looks great!!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
I've never tried 4 color process yet, but if I had, I'd hope it turned out that nice!
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline virgil427

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »
nice job, how long did it take to register ?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
How does it look compared to the original art? Are you happy with it? I think you will be surprised the difference you will get if you let Dan or someone do the seps for you. I have a job that I did 2 years in row. The first year Dan did the seps and the print was great. The next year they dropped it in my lap 30 hours before the event. I did the seps and the print was okay but not nearly as good when Dan did them. I also do like different screen angles. I have found that it makes it a little easier to get more depth in color.
I use:
c = 37.5
y = 7.5
m = 52.5
k = 67.5
I am not saying you can't get a good print with all 22.5 but I think it is easier with different angles.
Keep up the good work.
Matt

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
Looks WAY better than the first CMYK print I did. 

Of course, I didn't have any of these guys to help me out THAT many years ago.  200 mesh, cool white exposure unit, abused squeegees, $100 flatwork press.  ;D

When's the second one going on press?

Offline NoDirectionNick

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
@jsheridan - happy hour next week. I'm in.

Offline NoDirectionNick

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
@Frog - thank you much

@DKgrafix thanks!

@virgil427 - took me about 5-10 minutes, I believe. Been working diligently on cutting down my times w/registration since that was becoming a time consumer for me in the past.

@balloonguy - Dan is definitely the man when it comes to sep's. I tinkered with the screen angles yesterday on a different CMYK print and it didn't come out nearly as clean as this CMYK print. Something I'm going to keep testing as I do more CMYK jobs though. I appreciate the kind words and advice.

@Screen Foo - thanks! I enjoy the CMYK stuff. Hopefully I'll keep getting some more.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
HI VIva,

The cmyk print looks pretty good. Probably standard for most people, so you're not doing bad at all.  Sure, I would have done some things different, but you did save $75.00 on 5 colors. so, thats more profit in your hands and the customer probably love them. Thats all that really counts in the end.

Good job.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850