Author Topic: Safety question  (Read 5435 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Safety question
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
The plastisol does not conduct electricity. I just went next door to my neighbor who happens to build prototype power supplies for the government that are used in experimental projects. He has the most sensitive test equipment that you could imagine. We just ran a printed shirt through all kinds of test to see if the shirt would conduct, transfer, amplify, or even spontaneously combust......lol. There is absolutely no conductivity of the ink itself. We even shot electricity into the shirt with a small arc and still nothing. He also stated that if a person were that close to the arc flash the Corona of the flash is what is going to get them and unless they are in a rubber suit the ink is the least of their worries. Hope that helps.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
Does help for sure and i would think being such an advanced company that they would check things like that out for themselves. I would also assume any time they work near high voltage open wires or such they are already wearing protective clothing and gear.
"No man is an island"

Offline Northland

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
Here's some National Fire Protection Association info, regarding clothing worn for arc flash protection. The catagory ratings are based on the size of a potential arc flash.
http://www.highvoltageinfo.com/electrical-arc-flash-clothing.php

The basic premise is:
The larger the arc... the more protection is required.
Higher risk catagories require multiple layers of clothing.
And, in most cases the first layer is 100% cotton undergarments.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:51:46 PM by Northland »

Offline squeezee

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »
Plastisol is commonly PVC, the thing that you make electrical insulation from.
PVC doesn't burn, it gives off HCl which besides being toxic cloaks the plastic and stops it burning. 
By the time you have been electrocuted or burnt through the print you have much bigger problems.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)