Author Topic: Making of a Grumpy Cat  (Read 4264 times)

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
Making of a Grumpy Cat
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Well this is my first thread created here as I'm a newb to TSB. I'm apart of most of the other shirt forums but I'm liking this one and seems more my style!  I figured I start with a tutorial on my process, so here goes... ;D

Analyze: Like the image states, I like to start by getting and idea or "feel" for the subject matter and so I analyze it by breaking it down into simple geometric shapes/forms.

Concept (Sketch): Once I have a feel for the geometry of the subject I move onto a rough concept sketch. At this point I'm taking the knowledge I gained from the the study and then add character to the shapes to really give them some emotion.

Concept (Color): Once I have my rough concept I then move into concepting the colors. People like to move right into details but keep in mind the big picture. Whether it's sketching or coloring keeping the big picture in mind is hard when you're focusing on all the little details.

I generally through down some colors to get a feel for the tone for the piece but since we're using photo reference I went ahead and used the colors I analyzed in the photo (yes, do it without color picking!)

Final Render: Once you have the tone of your piece and are happy with where the colors a heading, start to render in the lighting of your subject. Pay attention to the forms and always be thinking in 3D (add booming, echoed voice) Keep in mind color temperature (that could be hundreds of tutorials in itself)

Hint: Shadows tend to be darker with more saturation (chroma) while colors near the light source tend to be lighter with less saturation.

Once you have your lighting and rendering nearing it's completion, that is the point where you'll want to start having fun with details using custom brushes and textures. For time's sake, I didn't bring this final image to far but close enough to give you an idea. So that about wraps it up. I hope this was helpful to you. If you have any questions feel free to post them or any suggestions for further tutorials (hopefully I'll get some time to do more)

Thanks!
Sully
John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Making of a Grumpy Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
That was awesome! And welcome.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
Well, thats an introduction of a different style!

Thats soooo awesome. Love the written tut. Very well done and very creative Illustration skills.
Thousands of up and coming artist will benefit from that for years to come.

We have a few other very talented artist that occasionally put up a step by step. You will like Lemorris. He's pretty heavy into textures in his art style these days and looking good. You have very nice brush strokes left in the art and thats part of my fav thing. Textures add style and leave a part of your process behind in the art.
Very nice.

THANKS FOR SHARING!

Should have started with this.
THX Intro Sound
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
I would love a full front grumpy cat tee ala "The Mountain" style.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
They do great work. Sericol discharge

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
They do great work. Sericol discharge

That's how I heard about them.  Fuji/Sericol had a page up that if you filled out in inquiry for their inks, you got a free Three Wolf Moon shirt.  A rep stopped by a little later and, at the time, their inks were only sold in HUGE quantities.

Offline sullyman

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! @Dan, yeah... or it could play out like a WWF intro scene. (Minus me breaking a chair over someones back)

I'll definitely be thinking of some new tutorials for anyone really hungry. Then again, it's always nice to have a refresher course now and again.
John Sullivan / Freelance Illustrator - StoreYoutubeBehanceEmail Me

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
Art (tutorials) is a thing we don't have here too often. After seeing yours, getting a bite of the Lemorris tuts now and then (he's very informative and enjoyable to watch as well) and watching a few of AdvancedArtist's vids, it gets me excited again about doing some free tuts.

But times is always against me. Gotta make hey (hay) lol. while the sun shines...and then work in the dark by candle light. Ya know.  LOL.

I'll have to work on one (about something) and post up.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:02:04 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »
As a guy who just takes images apart for printing, I'm always amazed at the guys and girls that can put it together like that. great tut, great piece...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
This makes me want to sit around and draw cats.  Damn you for distracting me. 

Offline WhateverWeber

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
Way Cool!
Thanks for sharing!! :D
R.Weber Design Center LLC
www.whateverwebstore.com

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »
Very cool! (Both your art and Grumpy Cat himself.)  >:(

I like the loose, painterly style.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline lemorris

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
 :) :) :)

awesome

welcome

great stuff