Author Topic: Adobe Indesign  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Adobe Indesign
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:51:59 PM »
Hello all,

Just reading up on separating from Adobe Indesign. This is the program that Adobe feels you should be printing all adobe files from instead of printing from Illy or Photoshop. Kinda like the old Quark program. from what I gather.

This may not be news to others but I've avoided looking at it till today.

While looking for the option to print using the TRANSFER FUNCTION as a result of another questions of changing your dots from a 1% to a10% (what the transfer function does), I stumbled on a cool thing that you couldn't do in Illy before (automatically).  THis is to use process colors (blending) together with spot colors in a gradation...and have them print out each on their respective plates or screens.  (eg)  CMYK %'s as well as blending in with pms 2725 purple.

Anyhoo,  I thought that was pretty cool  I'm going to look at that program to see what else it can do since we all know, they have things that we printers can use that they are not always aware of that we need or use.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline StuJohnston

Re: Adobe Indesign
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »
One other neat thing about InDesign is that the files that you place in the document are only linked, so you don't end up with huge files. Generally that means that you can work with a whole bunch of stuff at once without worrying about huge amounts of computer lag.

It is still recommended that the original work be done in the respective programs, photo editing in Photoshop and illustrating in Illustrator. It wasn't until recently that Illustrator could handle multi-page documents. Even so, it isn't meant to be used as a layout tool for books/magazines like InDesign is.

Quark is/was a direct competitor. I've used Quark 8 a little and it even has most of the same hotkey combos that Indesign does.