Author Topic: Accurip Vs FilmMaker DTP  (Read 7763 times)

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
Accurip Vs FilmMaker DTP
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:07 AM »
was wondering which would be a cost efficient option for someone who's just starting out. Leaning towards the filmmaker as theres the lite edition which is just 200bux.
we have an epson 1100.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Accurip Vs FilmMaker DTP
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
was wondering which would be a cost efficient option for someone who's just starting out. Leaning towards the filmmaker as theres the lite edition which is just 200bux.
we have an epson 1100.

AR is a nice piece of software, but it is strongest feature is the ease of use. FM takes a while to set up properly and has a ton of features you have to be comfortable with to use. If you figure it out (takes a couple of days to get comfortable with unlike AR which can be up and running in few min) it has better dot and more control. We use FM and, from what I have seen, it is the best bang for the buck out there.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
What Pierre said.  AR is super user friendly and easy but short on settings you can adjust.  We use it everyday though and are still happy with it.

Offline noiseloops

• Verified/Junior
Accurip Vs FilmMaker DTP
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
Always great to hear ur opinions. Haven't managed to muddle ard with both. Price was what attracted me to FM. Would the manual help much or do I have to seek help elsewhere if I do go abt getting FM?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 01:34:41 PM »
Always great to hear ur opinions. Haven't managed to muddle ard with both. Price was what attracted me to FM. Would the manual help much or do I have to seek help elsewhere if I do go abt getting FM?

I don't think there is a manual, that's part of the problem. Cadlink (the manufacturer) is not really responsive beyond emergencies. This is a very small product for them and they don't have the resources to grow it. Scott Fresner sells the same thing under his name and provides the support. It might be a little bit more, but you get somebody who will try hard to help. You can also post here and I'll try to help if possible. For a safe bet go with Scott, for a savings with a little bit of uncertainty go to cadlink directly. Your call . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Ues the AccuRip trial, neat software.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
Ues the AccuRip trial, neat software.

great point, they both have free trials. See which one you like!

pierre

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
You sure make yours sing though Pierre

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
 I went with AR simply because back then I didn't have a clue what I needed and it was cheaper than the rest, and honestly most people used it and it sure beat ghost. I did the trial of FM and it was like "whoa" wtf is all this....now? I wish I had all those settings....I would purchase something you can grow into, not something you can grow out of....even if you go with FM (or wasatch) you don't need to use all the fancy settings and you'll still get great results.  Now I have to save up and buy FM haha....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Northland

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
we have an epson 1100.

If you purchase FM from American Screen Supply... support is free. I've used it a couple times.
http://www.americanscreensupply.com/

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:05:11 PM »

Meaning- your team is truly a master at using FM!
Definitely inspiring every time we see a design.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »

Meaning- your team is truly a master at using FM!
Definitely inspiring every time we see a design.

thanx Gary,

it's all just a little bit of sweat equity & motivation. I have said this before, "One weekend of somebody like Dan at their shop and most ppl could do 90%+ of what we do and 99% of the paying jobs we print!".

Your are right though, it really is fun watching some of those good designs come to life!

pierre

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »
I went with AR simply because back then I didn't have a clue what I needed and it was cheaper than the rest, and honestly most people used it and it sure beat ghost. I did the trial of FM and it was like "whoa" wtf is all this....now? I wish I had all those settings....I would purchase something you can grow into, not something you can grow out of....even if you go with FM (or wasatch) you don't need to use all the fancy settings and you'll still get great results.  Now I have to save up and buy FM haha....

http://americanscreensupply.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=308.  You can use the competitors upgrade. $195.  I bought FM a year or 2 ago on the advice of Peirre and testing the RIPs myself IMO once you learn the advance features and how to use them really nothing compares for the money.