Author Topic: Ink mixing % of pantone colors  (Read 4954 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Ink mixing % of pantone colors
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »
I have a order where they specd out their pantone color which is 3 shades of the same color. Well in the directions it is really for print as it states Pantone 647 100%, 80% and 50%. How do I translate that when mixing my ink? I know in the paint industry when we wanted 50% of a color we would just cut the formula in half. Will the same principle still work in ink? I would imagine so and I am probably overthinking this. I am using QCM QMX system.

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
Re: Ink mixing % of pantone colors
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
I may not be understanding fully but couldn't you handle that with halftones?
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
That is the problem. It is text and probably wouldn't look good halftoned. Image attached

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:41 PM »
Awe,  I see now.  Ok. All you need to do then is look at your pantone book, and reference that main color you will be using, and then pick another pantone that resembles closest to the other shades...and mix those up as pantone solids.  If you were not provided a (printed image) to reference the colors. then you may be spit out of luck as your color printer might be off a few shades and could distort you choices. Horse shoes and hand grenades.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
I have had that situation, and I believe that I mixed the original Pantone ink with different amounts of white.

Otherwise, get your custy to browse the book with you, and have them pick.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
I have had that situation, and I believe that I mixed the original Pantone ink with different amounts of white.

In theory you should be able to just cut the formula back 20% and 50% respectively and come up with those shades without adjusting the amount of base white, just adjusting the pigments.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
I don't know about inks. I'm not that experienced at it, but I am at paint and such.  Seems to me if you cut back on the pigment and have the same amount ot base, it will be a more translucent ink of the original. That may not be on par with the need.  Would be good for some ghosting effects.  I donno.  Could be wrong.  Adding white tho, like Frog mentioned should work decent.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »

In theory you should be able to just cut the formula back 20% and 50% respectively and come up with those shades without adjusting the amount of base white, just adjusting the pigments.

Sure, do the math, and in the end it's the same, but my way, you start with a constant, and then get a visual aid. That visual aid can also be observed as you gradually add the white to get an idea of if it's working right.
Depending on what inks, or pigments are used, they may not all be created equal, and straight percentages may not result in the desired tint.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »
the original Pantone ink with different amounts of white.

Yep.  Pulling back the % of pigment is an option but would only work going on a white base or shirt and probably still be a finicky pain in the ass compared to mixing an opaque spot.  Dan's notion of matching to like pantones is good too but, in the book, it's essentially going to be doing the same thing, adding white. 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:07:03 PM »
647 C
5415 C
644 C

:D
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »
BTW -

Never tell a customer you'll do an exact Pantone match. Tell them it's impossible, because a shirt cannot adhere to the same standards as paper and other substrates. (coated, uncoated, etc) You can get "simulated" Pantone matches, but the surface of a t-shirt and the multitude of other variables (monitor calibration, lighting conditions, ink mfr batches, etc) make it a "close as possible" scenario.

Most of the time you tell them this, and they are fine with it, and sometimes even pleasantly surprised with the results.

In other words, under-promise, over deliver.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
Good thinking guys. I think though as was eluded to that cutting back the pigment may work better in this instance as they going on white shirts. I feel by adding white you are almost shooting blind as its an educated guess at best to know if you are at 80% or 50% of the color. Theoretically if you add 50% or 80% of the pigment you will know more or less that it is the right shade. Does that make sense?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
you are making this too difficult. burn it on a 305, adjust the curves for two strokes (-20 in the middle) and print with one screen. They will get the percentages they are asking for. If they want three colors, have them specify the PMS numbers. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 04:07:21 PM »
you are making this too difficult. burn it on a 305, adjust the curves for two strokes (-20 in the middle) and print with one screen. They will get the percentages they are asking for. If they want three colors, have them specify the PMS numbers. . .

pierre
Are you saying cut the percentages back 20% and double stroke to "fill in" and make up the 20%. I dont understand what "adjust the curves" is. Must be a Photoshop thing?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »
I thought it might just have been me. I didn't really understand that one either.