Author Topic: Why only Vector?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
Why only Vector?
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
I have one simple question. Maybe someone can set me straight.
Seems like the more artwork I do for other companies and individuals, the more I hear "we only print with vector art" Really?
I just sent out a CorelDraw x6 file to a client and it had a monochrome bitmap as part of the art. It was a simple overlay that distressed a section of the design. I get it back saying that they can't print that way or if they do there will be a substantial up-charge.
I don't get it. If you print a Corel file, does it matter? It was all spot color. Designed for a one color print. As long as there are no transparencies or need for halftones, shouldn't this not be an issue?

Enlighten me.
59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline Chadwick

Re: Why only Vector?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
They just don't know what they are doing.
There's alot of that going around.
 ;)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I see this a good bit also.  Often printers who don't get involved in (how the art is done) or what can be achieved in various art files and only have a vector program to output film, they (assume) that all art MUST be vector as in it originated from vector. So placing bitmaps in the file simply scares them. They think, they don't know how to handle that so YOU give them art they are familiar with.

I have many Corel customers that don't have photoshop. They get a little afraid of it at first but then see how smoothly it flows.

I have a few customer that don't have any experience at using the programs other than clicking print. Thats all they want to know.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
For us we say vector only because as soon as you say "ya, I can take that .tiff" the next order is sent as a 1"x1" .tiff and they want a 14" x 14" print. Their response is - "Well last time you took it."
It sounds like you know well enough what you are doing, but 99.999999999999999% of people don't. It is much easier to make a policy - vector only, and stick to it. That way you don't end up on a Friday with someone that sent over this "wicked cool artwork I got off google images" which ends up being a 9 color and awesome quality at 1.5" x 1.5" and 12dpi.....
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
For us we say vector only because as soon as you say "ya, I can take that .tiff" the next order is sent as a 1"x1" .tiff and they want a 14" x 14" print. Their response is - "Well last time you took it."
It sounds like you know well enough what you are doing, but 99.999999999999999% of people don't. It is much easier to make a policy - vector only, and stick to it. That way you don't end up on a Friday with someone that sent over this "wicked cool artwork I got off google images" which ends up being a 9 color and awesome quality at 1.5" x 1.5" and 12dpi.....

Exactly.

From people that know what they are doing, we will print all kinds of files.  But the general public if you say hey I can print a JPG, your gonna get something horrible and you will spend more time chasing them for a good file or time remaking it...
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
I have one simple question. Maybe someone can set me straight.
Seems like the more artwork I do for other companies and individuals, the more I hear "we only print with vector art" Really?
I just sent out a CorelDraw x6 file to a client and it had a monochrome bitmap as part of the art. It was a simple overlay that distressed a section of the design. I get it back saying that they can't print that way or if they do there will be a substantial up-charge.
I don't get it. If you print a Corel file, does it matter? It was all spot color. Designed for a one color print. As long as there are no transparencies or need for halftones, shouldn't this not be an issue?

Enlighten me.

Is it just a coincidence you are asking this even tho on the T Shirt forum there is a big argument going on about this topic and you are involved? Just curious?

The argument going on over there is lame because everyone is basing their opinion on incomplete information. You in particular are quick to call shops and certain printers either lazy or incompetent.

The original poster with this question in that thread does not completely explain what she is sending her printer period. There is no reason for anyone to make judgement based on just what she is saying, we don't know if she is sending logo types but in extreme low resolution and major anti aliasing. We don't know if she is sending high res crisp logos in raster who really knows? I have been receiving logos for well over a decade and more times than not people think the crappy 72dpi web pulled graphic is print ready.

That lady is just complaining about art charges, well tough for her we as printers do not work for free. Even high res rasters require time to separate and prep for film and that cost has to be passed on to the customer. The right customers do send print ready art work but most business/school/walk/organization/on and on customers do not know the first thing about screen printing and the graphic requirements.

"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
simple answer, they don't know how, and let's be kind, they don't know how yet... I had a vendor tell me they couldn't use a bitmap tif once; I told him to open the file and print it out of his laser printer..."Oh wow, I didn't know that..." It's not even like it's a hard thing to do.

Steve

That's why this group is here I think, to teach and share. The knowledge shared here is priceless, really.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
I follow and agree with what you're saying. On the other hand, the original poster is saying, he did some art (for a printer) and the printer says he only prints vector art.

So 59 is referring to the printer (his art customer) saying he only wants to handle art from him that is vector.  No bitmap or raster files and not as a customer walking in the door.

I certainly see both your points tho. We sometimes just think it's odd that someone who does this fora living and must take art files for all sorts of customer...doesn't print out bitmap images EVER.

To many artist, It's like saying, you only print on 100% cotton tees and never anything else.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
Just find it odd he is involved with someone else's thread pertaining to this exact question then he pops the question as his own here.

Just a bit fishy IMHO
"No man is an island"

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 04:00:17 PM »
I just had this happen to me. I'm on a board of directors with some other volunteers and we have this big conference coming up and needed t-shirts. Art was designed by another member (a medical illustrator, not a t-shirt artist) before I joined the board, but since I have t-shirt experience, I offered to help, since the printer kept asking for vector art. (Original art was PSD).

I sepped it into channels and sent it, because after I went to their website and saw examples of sim-process and CMYK printing, I knew they could handle it, contrary to what they were asking for. I explained to them who I was and what I do and only then I got the truth that they could print channel-sepped PSD.

Now, the artist who did the original art knew vector from raster, and high from low-res, yet still didn't know that the art needed to be a certain size and sepped into spot colors with a base print, etc. Even after I sepped and sent it, because the source file was slightly low-res, they kept asking for "vector" instead of a higher-resolution file. Luckily, the art represents cave paintings, so jagged edges and sharp lines aren't an issue, (the text part was high-res) but if it were anything else, it would've needed to be re-done.

It was a combination of laziness and frustration with dealing with past crap files on the part of the printer, and procedural ignorance of screen printing on the part of the artist, herself a seasoned and very skilled digital illustrator.

I sure hope the shirts turned out okay. I find out in a couple of days.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
Just find it odd he is involved with someone else's thread pertaining to this exact question then he pops the question as his own here.

Just a bit fishy IMHO

Just so happens that this actually did happen to me just this morning. And I came to this forum, and have been following it for quite while now, because the conversation seemed to be a little more professional and not so down your throat when a question is asked. Be it controversial or not.
And since you find it odd that I was in someone else's thread talking about the same thing, well that's what these forums are for. Or am I missing something. See, I probably didn't get and answer there, so, like I stated above, I came hear in hopes of an answer or just some good conversation about a topic I was curious about.
It's unfortunate that we, as a society are so quick to judge and when something is simple or innocent, we have to try so hard to find something wrong and complain about it.

I will simply ignore your remarks and take it in stride, as I do with long lines, freeway gridlock and a few other things that annoy me but don't get the best of me.

As for anyone who I offended by coming to this forum, sorry, however I will still ask questions on more than one forum and if they overlap, oh well.

As for Dan and the rest of you all, I thank you for your input and for the most part, have made perfect sense. Being on the design end and not as much on the output end, I didn't recognize the picture you have all painted. I now have more respect for those on the receiving end and in the future I can respond to them with more accurate delivery of my art files.

59 Graphix "Est. 1989" • Screen Printing • Embroidery • T-Shirt Design • Fashion Brand Start-Ups
•••59 Authentic™

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:30:06 PM »
My two cents.
In general, one is safe accepting vector art. Raster opens up a whole new world of possibilities, even more so with the growing number of low tech owners of high tech devices.

As for the OP's printer client. no offense to T-Shirt forums, but if a member there, they do have more than their share of plywood pressed, jury-rigging, duct tape using, bedroom and garage printers who are often less than current on the state of the industry.
They usually do come around though, and one does have to start somewhere.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
All good post.

You gotta get to know Inkmans personality to love him. ;) He's really a good guy.
He means no harm. His teeth just naturally grow that long and can occasionally poke the skin when he's just trying to get to know you. :). I get testy myself some days. Like family, we take the god days with the bad.

My son for example is not a morning person. He can be a grumpy son of a gun.

Offline 59Graphix

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »
Hey Dan, I can appreciate all that! Like you had told me before, I am trying to be civil and let it ride but it's almost like a fraternity or gang at these forums. You have to get jumped in before your accepted! LOL!

But seriously, I do appreciate all the knowledge here and I will offer my 2 cents, accepted or not, every once in awhile.
As Frog said about the other forum, I am laughing.
•••59 Authentic™

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »
Ha.  Had to laugh, but yeah,  sometimes, it can feel like that. We are a band of brothers and sisters. :)
We let new people in tho (if you can pass our hazing).  ;)