Author Topic: Tips and tricks for new auto user  (Read 6497 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Tips and tricks for new auto user
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 03:40:50 PM »
Ink plays a really big part creamy inks print very good thru just about any mesh Oh and sharp blades don't hurt.  On the single stroke it really helps on wet on wet printing of the ink build up on the back of the screens.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:17:10 PM »
My press will be a full size Horizon.

I am just going to take it slow and practice.

I really will need to address my dryer issue. I was thinking with space and electrical issues the Vastex Econored I 54" would be a good fit as the specs say 30Amps http://www.vastex.com/products/InfraredDryers/ECI.php

If I do that I will probably need to downgrade the compressor from the used rotary screw to a 5hp single stage compressor.

Offline Northland

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »

If I do that I will probably need to downgrade the compressor from the used rotary screw to a 5hp single stage compressor.

I can't recomend a single stage air compressor.... it won't hold up to long term usage.
An all air machine really needs a two stage compressor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:56:35 AM by Northland »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »

I can't reccomend a single stage air compressor.... it won't hold up to long term usage.
An all air machine really needs a two stage compressor.
A two stage with chiller would be upwards of 3K. The used rotary is 2K with dryer. Its just hard trying to balance everything with limited electrical.

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
You can come in on a new IR 2 stage 7HP 80 gal for under $2000. Check Northern Tool. They even have free shipping. You can pickup a used chiller for around $500.

Bill

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
Nothing to offer about printing with an auto but, while I've seen pics of shops running those shorty Vastex dryers with an auto, I don't see how in god's name they do it without undercuring shirts.  We have an EC-I, 30" wide and it can't keep up with me, printing solo, on the manual, it's not even close. 

Next to color capacity I'd wager the dryer is the next bottleneck you'll hit, or maybe sooner.  Run some gas up in there and you'll still have the amps you need on the panel.  Unless you have 3 phase in a shop space, I don't see big electric dryers being very attractive.  Then again, we have one going into ours but we have the 3 phase to handle it. 

Northland, your comments intrigue me.  My assumption has been that we need no less than a 10/12 due to the nature of our work but, then again a 7/8 could get us to scrill to get that big 'ol press.  Has this worked for you running 5 colors?  It just seems so limiting to me.  But then again, I'll bet a servo machine that small indexes lickety split so you could probably just revolve it with one flash or one of those "color saver" units anatol makes and leave 4/5 open color heads.  I'd imagine some jobs are just really slow on it?

Great thread by the way, I'm getting more dug in and ready to get an auto every day I print until 2am or later.  Speaking of, off to do it again...

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »
You can come in on a new IR 2 stage 7HP 80 gal for under $2000. Check Northern Tool. They even have free shipping. You can pickup a used chiller for around $500.

Bill
Hey Bill you are right but what I am wrestling with is having the nice quiet rotary screw compressor for 2K. Then again the press is going to make alot of noise anyway being all air so I may be able to save on amps with a 5hp 2 stage, it will be a little low on CFM (about 17-18) where the rotary screw is (21). The details make this tough. But buying new you get the warranty advantage.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
Nothing to offer about printing with an auto but, while I've seen pics of shops running those shorty Vastex dryers with an auto, I don't see how in god's name they do it without undercuring shirts.  We have an EC-I, 30" wide and it can't keep up with me, printing solo, on the manual, it's not even close. 

Next to color capacity I'd wager the dryer is the next bottleneck you'll hit, or maybe sooner.  Run some gas up in there and you'll still have the amps you need on the panel.  Unless you have 3 phase in a shop space, I don't see big electric dryers being very attractive.  Then again, we have one going into ours but we have the 3 phase to handle it. 

Northland, your comments intrigue me.  My assumption has been that we need no less than a 10/12 due to the nature of our work but, then again a 7/8 could get us to scrill to get that big 'ol press.  Has this worked for you running 5 colors?  It just seems so limiting to me.  But then again, I'll bet a servo machine that small indexes lickety split so you could probably just revolve it with one flash or one of those "color saver" units anatol makes and leave 4/5 open color heads.  I'd imagine some jobs are just really slow on it?

Great thread by the way, I'm getting more dug in and ready to get an auto every day I print until 2am or later.  Speaking of, off to do it again...
My thought was with my current dryer capable of 150 shirts an hour even though they claim 200 I figure if I could double the belt width I could double my capacity to at least 300 an hour. I cant run gas it is a leased space without a uncooperative landlord.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »

My thought was with my current dryer capable of 150 shirts an hour even though they claim 200 I figure if I could double the belt width I could double my capacity to at least 300 an hour. I cant run gas it is a leased space without a uncooperative landlord.

I also was a little shocked at the dryer configuration for an auto. That's a small large dryer, or is it a large small dryer?
I don't think that you will be able to double the listed capacity. That rate is assuming that their are two machines, with two un-loaders placing the shirts as if they each had their own dedicated belt.

But, I thought that you were attracted to the modular nature of this dryer, and merely thought that your first few thousand  shirts may be run at less than optimum speed, while your earning while learning and can then expand it.
But then you may start running into your supply issue again.

You may need some more service in the shop.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

I also was a little shocked at the dryer configuration for an auto. That's a small large dryer, or is it a large small dryer?
I don't think that you will be able to double the listed capacity. That rate is assuming that their are two machines, with two un-loaders placing the shirts as if they each had their own dedicated belt.

But, I thought that you were attracted to the modular nature of this dryer, and merely thought that your first few thousand  shirts may be run at less than optimum speed, while your earning while learning and can then expand it.
But then you may start running into your supply issue again.

You may need some more service in the shop.
My thinking is I am can cure 150 shirts at 4000 watts 1 panel (22 amps) with a 24" belt. The Vastex ECI 54" is 7000 watts 2 panel (30 amps) with a 54" belt. It would seem you could at least almost double the output of the 24" belt. And you are right I need more space and more electrical. There is a shop thats open about 50 yards from my current shop that I will look into when my lease is up. A screen print shop used to be there and they had autos and big dryers so its an ideal space. My landlord wont let me out of my lease early so that part sucks.

Offline Northland

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »
Yes... 5 colors is very limiting. I can deal with that.
Here's why a 5x6 Auto works for me..... and why it doesn't work in most shops.
I'm a part-timer (maybe 10 hours a week), in a home based setting.
I have no desire to have employees and no desire to rent space.
I choose to look only for work that fits my business.

So, in a 14' x 23' space with a 100 amp panel... I can print 200-250 shirts an hour (my conv-dryer could maybe handle 300).
I try to average $100/hr for press time and $30/hr for non-press time.
If I can't find those jobs... I chose to not print.
My market niche is simple, spot color, low cost stuff.
My customers aren't paying much for their shirts... so they don't have high expectations.

Easy-peasy... no squeegee pulling with the Titan.
I do 50% of my jobs with no flash.
When I do use my quartz flash... I seldom need a cool-down station.
The quartz is so fast it doesn't drive the heat into the garment and at 200/hr there's cool-down time at the flash before indexing.
The Titan servo has a step back feature.. you can print/flash/stepback
It's sold as a 16"x16" print area.... but I don't think I've ever had to print larger than 14"x14"

I do think that a 5/6 color press would work well (in tandem with a 10/12 press) in many shops.
If I was selling my press... I'd be making that sales pitch.
Why tie up a big press for a 2 color job... add this 8' diameter press & you've got the bases covered !

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:56:20 PM by Northland »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 12:12:30 AM »
They also have the step back program with a pneumatic indexer as well.