Author Topic: MHM presses  (Read 15865 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: MHM presses
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »
Lets get this thread back on course...

Here is some posts about autos with videos.

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,2830.0.html

Offline californiadreamin

• !!!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
MHM presses are great machines!
I still work on them from time to time, am installing a14c/16s 3000 in a day or so.
Owned/involved with/ran 9 presses.
Ran 2-3 shifts 6 days a week
4 s-types 8c,10c /5  3000's with electronic registration
of the 2 styles, I would tend to favor the s-type, but really like both.
I have not worked  on an x type to see the ins and outs, but looks like an s type on steroids.
Likes: Design and manufacture concepts of the press. Top Quality bar none.
         FPU, Screen Registration pin system, Lifting print heads, Easy print/flood bar change overs, Micro Registration(great)
         Ease of use, runs like a top (smooth), Simple machines, easy to perform repairs (IF you understand them). Top Quality)

Dislikes: They are all over the world, and I mean all over. Poor representation in the USA in general *( HOWEVER people love Gavin Kidd / sales manager, Rodney Head Tech. (95% of the parts are made  in house) I do not like ANY one company holding
all the keys to the castle. Not good or wise business ! Limited parts in the USA. These issues could but, for whatever reason
are not delt with. Sad! Because they are great machines.

All being said most printers that I know that have MHM's, Love um and take a pro active stance with there machines. They find
ways around the "Quirks" and keep their machines running and wouldn't change as long as they keep them going. MHM have
only built a limited types of presses, focusing on design, quality of product. Support is good but not on par with their competition. Time will tell IF the new owners of the company, see things differently?

As far as the E type? I like most things about them, I would make simple improvements, but my understanding is that the
press is being discontinued(Big Mistake!). They want to focus on higher end shops.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
I know I saw the link to a vid on here somewhere, but the elliptical they are working on looks unreal.

I wonder what's going on with that?  (Probably out of most peoples price range anyways... )

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
oval is history. It was not made by MHM but its founder and he seems to be done making presses (At least for now).

E-type is also history. MHM redesigned their entry level press, it is called the X-type.  It should be priced similarly to E, but with few extra features. Carousel is not going up and down any more, but the heads are.

pierre 
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
The founder took the oval MHM with when the company was recapitalized or whatever happened there and then developed the Digotex which, yes, is unreal.  Also crazy expensive but probably worth every penny.  It's the only press I've seen that seriously advances how we do this printing thing.  The "digo" part does indeed refer to digital. 

Sorry if I derailed this at all with the M&R ? regarding the choppers staying down.  I wasn't meaning to stir that up but was actually curious if the new M&Rs do that.  I know the Alpha and Challenger would not since they lift heads but like the sportsmans that index up/down to the screens.  I do think that would steer me hard in a new auto purchase as, like others said, it's very aggravating and frustrates setup. I don't want the flood or the sq touching until it's time for them to do something.

As I said, I agree- they're all fast enough! Although certain high qty runs of private labels and small prints I find myself wishing our press could cycle at 1k/hour. One of our biggest challenges has been actually keeping an eye out for lint bunnies floating down into the top of the screen and blocking a tiny section as well as being careful with DC to try and see an issue before there are 20 unfixable shirts on the dryer belt.  You can only move so fast and keep an eye on this stuff.  Pulling needs to be done so that the image doesn't get distorted from pulling off the tacky platen and of course loading needs to stay very methodical too.  I think it's ideal to have the press that can go crazy fast, double index, etc. for those time you really need it and then 400-600 hr is just fine by me for the rest.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
The founder took the oval MHM with when the company was recapitalized or whatever happened there and then developed the Digotex which, yes, is unreal.  Also crazy expensive but probably worth every penny.  It's the only press I've seen that seriously advances how we do this printing thing.  The "digo" part does indeed refer to digital. 

THANK YOU.  Now that you and Pierre mention it, I'd heard something about that but had forgotten. 
The drive/reg system IS rather original.

Crazy thing is--only info I see on the interwebs for Digotex is from MHM-GB.  I'm guessing Hirsch deals with them too?
Edit:  found a Hirsch blog post, and indeed they are offering their contact info on that model.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 01:45:46 PM by ScreenFoo »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
as already mentioned, Digotex is no more. Herbert filed for bankruptcy and Digotex is closed. Hirsch brought in a sample press few years back that is sitting at Mirror image unused (something about needing part/parts).

Unless he reopens or sells the rights, that thing is history. New MHM has no rights to it from what I understand as it was developed in Herbert's house (from what I understand).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
as already mentioned, Digotex is no more. Herbert filed for bankruptcy and Digotex is closed. Hirsch brought in a sample press few years back that is sitting at Mirror image unused (something about needing part/parts).

Unless he reopens or sells the rights, that thing is history. New MHM has no rights to it from what I understand as it was developed in Herbert's house (from what I understand).

pierre

I stand corrected, aeon purchased the IP for the oval . . .

http://www.aeoon.com/aeoon-screen-printer/

pierre

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
Oh, I didn't know that, sorry to hear.  I'm guessing Aeoon was the co. developing the DTG module to go with the digo?  Hard to believe parts could be an issue, I've seen a vid of fixing the drive on a print arm and talked with the MHM GB guy and it sounds like they built the thing to be extremely field serviceable and simple.  I guess if those simple parts are some exotic Austrian make that would be a problem but it sounded to me like you could just order enough backups with the press to last for years.

I still think this press is amazing. The drive/reg is brilliant, about time someone figured out that you don't need to calibrate across the whole diameter of a press.  Just think of the savings in manufacturing alone and then all the install options you have.  On top of all that the digo arm drives had regenerative braking or something like that to conserve power so they were recharging as they deaccelerated.

Offline BorisB

MHM presses
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »

pierre
A year ago we were exhibiting at german tradeshow. Digotex machine was across our booth. Prints were mediocre, it didn't run super smooth like i expected it. They had that situations when at scheduled presstime everybody was nervously & aimlesly buzzing around machine trying to get it spin.....
All in all I wasn't intrigued enough to leave my workplace and "look in the future". I thought let this baby develop some more.
Angelo was important for developing of latest MHMs. I beleive they can pull it. But also their digital printer looks like in need for lots of finetuning and development. Lots of work for clever but still small team.

Boris